Not-too-bad-for-you cookies (low-sugar oatmeal cookies)

By | August 31, 2011

I was going to call these “better-for-you cookies” but decided “not-too-bad” was a more honest description. Let’s face it: Butter, sugar, and chocolate chips aren’t healthy, even in smaller amounts. They’re just…less bad.

Anyway, I invented a new cookie today, and I’m pretty happy with the results. You’d think that using less sugar and more oats would yield a downright weird cookie, but I actually prefer this low-sugar kind to the regular version.

Besides, when your flour/sugar ratio is 2¼ cups of flour and oats to ½ cup of sugar, eating a handful at a time doesn’t seem so bad.

As you may have noticed from the photos, some of us in this house love raisins, and some of us run the other way. My husband got the first half of the batter, with just white chocolate chips mixed in, while I enjoyed a scoop of my precious Sunmaid raisins in the other half. Yes, I brought them from the States. And yes, I treat them like gold.

Give these a shot and let me know what you think. Sweet enough for you? What about your kids?

Miriam on September 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm.

Oh, I’ll have to try these. I have cookies that are made with all oil, and they just don’t have that same cookie texture. A blend sounds interesting. What type of brown sugar are you using? Light? Dark? Demerara?

Tali Simon on September 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm.

I use dark brown sugar, which is supposed to make baked goods more moist. All I can say right now is that one day later, they’re still plenty soft. We’ll see how much longer the batch lasts.

Laura on September 13, 2011 at 4:55 am.

I have a similar recipe, but I use all oil, plus add in some soy or rice milk. It is not so sweet, but I like it that way.

Ahuvah Taub on December 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm.

Great recipe! These hardly lasted for all of Shabbat. I had to fend off my cookie monsters. I made these with all oil and they came out just great. When I bake I always replace the margarine with oil and I’ve never had a problem. The trick is you have to flatten your cookies because unlike when using margarine the cookie doesn’t spread out so well on it’s own. I will be making these again. Super delicious , really easy to make and not so bad for you either. :)

Tali Simon on December 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm.

Now I have evidence on both sides — this means I’ll just have to make another batch to try them out. Thanks for the tip!

pnina on January 6, 2014 at 6:44 pm.

This looks awesome! definitely going to try them very soon.. maybe tonight!