Tried-and-true carrot spice muffins

By | August 28, 2011

Before I was married, the only time I made muffins was on Pesach. I know, it doesn’t make any sense. But every year without fail, my family would pick up a box of Manischewitz kosher l’ Pesach muffin mix and a bag of chocolate chips, and that was the extent of my involvement with muffins.

Let’s just say I’ve since graduated.

I probably made my first batch of “married muffins” — these carrot spice ones — some six weeks after our wedding, as a side dish for a Shabbos lunch at home. I stumbled upon the recipe online somewhere and couldn’t believe how well they came out. I was on to something!

After that, muffins of all varieties became something of a staple in our house. I like them for breakfast, sometimes with a piece of fruit; my husband likes to snack on them at all times of day. Since the flour/sugar ratio is lower than in cookies and other baked goods, muffins are pretty much a win-win. (Especially these, which use real carrots and no chocolate.)

What kind of muffins do you like best?

—–

Malka on January 25, 2012 at 11:42 am.

Made these last week for shabbos…..loove them…moshe eliyahu points to the freezer and says “cookie…cookie…please…” You really have a fan in him!

Tali Simon on January 25, 2012 at 12:14 pm.

Love that he says “please”!

Malka on January 25, 2012 at 7:35 pm.

That’s how we know he really wants it!

Elana Friedman on September 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm.

These are amazing. My 5 year old daughter really liked them and they are even good cold as well as hot. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I just wanted to know, do they freeze well?

Tali Simon on September 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm.

Glad you liked them! Yes, they do freeze well. I usually make just one batch at a time, but several months ago I did a triple batch and they seemed to do just fine in the freezer.

Yiska Ben Avraham on October 12, 2014 at 7:54 pm.

We (Miss Toddler and I) made these quickly for Shabbos Chol Hamoed after working Friday morning. We couldn’t find nutmeg in the store so used ground cloves (left over from those insanely addictive gingersnaps with white chocolate chips), and we also had to leave out the raisins cause didn’t have any. They turned out great and they were gobbled up (though nothing compares to those gingersnaps, I have to say). It was so worth it even without a food processor (grating was done in advance)!

Tali Simon on October 12, 2014 at 9:12 pm.

More often than not, I don’t have raisins on hand either and I just make them without. Glad you guys enjoyed. :)