Turkish salad

By | August 17, 2011

turkish-salad-11.jpg

I’m always on the lookout for dips and salads to serve with challah, so our Shabbos table has seen an interesting variety of appetizers.

We’ve had black bean dip (which would have better with tacos), white bean dip (which is delicious but should really go with cut-up veggies), and roasted eggplant dip (which would have been much better if the vegetables roasted properly).

Garden vegetable chummus was a hit, as was the classic chummus based on Jamie Geller’s Quick & Kosher. And my olive dip has graduated from “way too much mayo” to “now that’s what it’s supposed to taste like.”

But on Friday I discovered the best turkish salad you ever did see. I’m not sure just why, but it is so good. And when served with that chummus, the challah practically dances.

Admittedly, frying eggplant is not the healthiest way to go. But I figure that if the rest of the meal is healthy, an appetizer that involves frying is nothing to be ashamed of.

What’s your favorite accompaniment to challah?

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.

Rivka on August 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm.

This looks delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try this one out this Shabbos. I’m assuming you didn’t salt the eggplant before frying it, since you didn’t mention it… About how much dip did this make? Does it reduce a lot while cooking?

Current favorite challah topping: chummus and grilled peppers. Delicious!

Tali Simon on August 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm.

That’s right, no salting. I also wondered about it since other eggplant recipes I’ve used ask for salting, but there was certainly no bitter quality to the dish’s taste, so I wouldn’t worry.

As far as the number of servings, I’d say 8-10. There were three of us at the table Friday night, five Shabbos day…and I believe it was me who finished it off at seudat shlishit.

I’m a grilled peppers fan, too. I have a great pasta dish with lots of grilled veggies — look for it in a future post.

Rivka on August 20, 2011 at 10:29 pm.

Just had to come back to let you know that I made a double recipe of this …and it was ALL GONE by motzei Shabbos. This is some seriously good stuff.

Tali Simon on August 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm.

Wow! So glad!

Ahuvah Taub on February 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm.

Supper yummy recipe. Don’t eat green pepper so used yellow instead. Made it for the second time this Shabbat. Last time I had to fight my daughter to give me more.

Tali Simon on February 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm.

Yellow peppers would be great, I’ll try that some time.

Rachel Kaye on June 10, 2012 at 9:21 pm.

This is so good! It tastes exactly like חצילים פיקנטים that you buy in the supermarket – only fresher and less oily! Definitely a keeper.

debbie oziel on February 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm.

What changes were made?

Tali Simon on February 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm.

I changed the oil amount from a half-cup to “for frying” since it’s more of a use-as-needed thing, increased the tomato paste, updated the formatting, and included a yield.

Sara Springer on December 23, 2013 at 2:35 am.

Please don’t use Canola oil. It is a GMO ( genetically modified) and one of the unhealthiest oils to use. I would suggest olive oil. Also, do you think roasting the eggplant would use less oil?

Tali Simon on December 23, 2013 at 5:13 pm.

Olive oil would be totally fine here, too, and yes, I think using cubed roasted eggplant would work as a variation. (And there are other eggplant salads on the site that call for roasting in the first place.)

Tammy on January 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm.

I see this is a couple of years old but I just came across it.
I have an eggplant in the fridge waiting for something interesting and I think this may just be it…

That said, my all-time favorite Challah topping has to be roasted garlic… I roasted garlic with my roast chicken on Friday and boy-oh-boy was it yummy on challah ;)