Classic zucchini kugel

By | September 14, 2011

zucchini-kugel-11.jpg

If you like zucchini the way I do, this kugel is a no-brainer. Unless, of course, you don’t have a food processor. In that case, you’d have to really, really, really like zucchini. Or it’d have to be on sale for NIS 1.99/kilo, the likes of which I haven’t yet seen in nearly 10 months of married grocery shopping.

But the point is that this kugel is delicious, and pretty hard to mess up. Shred zucchini and onion, mix with a few things, and bake. That’s a 1-2-3 recipe if I ever saw one.

I think I was most impressed with this kugel when I served it to two yeshiva-guy guests over the summer. It was the first time we were having guys over, and I was worried that a zucchini kugel would be too girly. I made it anyway and couldn’t help grinning as the guys each took THREE pieces.

So did my husband, by the way. The one who didn’t like zucchini before we were married.

Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link. Your Amazon purchase helps support this site.

Ahuvah Taub on October 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm.

Super yummy! Kids loved this recipe too. Mine came out a bit mushy especially in the center. I used 70% whole wheat flour. Just needed to squeeze out zucchinis better and bake longer. My sister gave me the tip of sandwiching the shredded zucchinis in paper towels and covering with some thing heavy to squish out the liquid. Thanks for this post a sneaky and yummy way to get my kids to eat veggies.

Tali Simon on October 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm.

That’s a great tip. I find that the shredded zucchinis often don’t seem like they have extra liquid right away, but if they sit for even 10 minutes it starts to collect at the bottom of the bowl.

Glad your family enjoyed it!

Barbara Paige on July 28, 2014 at 5:22 pm.

Both zucchini and onion(s) need to squeezed after they are shredded before they are combined in the bowl with the other ingredients.

Elana Friedman on September 9, 2012 at 11:59 am.

Really good. I just found it really greasy so will cut down on the oil but besides that it was really yummy. Can’t wait to make it again. Thanks

Tali Simon on September 9, 2012 at 12:34 pm.

I’ve also played with the water and oil amounts the last two times I made this. When I get the perfect ratio, I’ll update the recipe here.

Hindy on September 19, 2012 at 3:31 pm.

I made your kugel this yom tov! Thanks so much for including it in the round-up. I ended up not using any water. I didn’t squeeze out the squash and I used slightly less oil. It came out perfect. Everyone was happy. Thanks so much! Shana Tova!

Tali Simon on September 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm.

I wonder if the liquid you would have squeezed from the zukes equals a half-cup. I’ll have to measure next time. :)

ariel-sara gerowitz on January 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm.

I just made this gluten free for an allergic friend for shabbat! Still turned out great. Used potato flour instead. Now we know we have a great pesach recipe!

Tali Simon on January 27, 2013 at 8:04 pm.

Thanks! Really good to know.

Elana on April 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm.

Hi Tali, I love your blog, and this kugel! Just to let you know, when I make it, I don’t squeeze out the zucchini and then I just don’t add the water – it comes out great!

Tali Simon on April 21, 2013 at 8:17 am.

A few people have mentioned this, and the truth is that it makes a lot of sense, assuming the amounts are about the same. I have this kugel on my Shabbos menu for this week, so I’m finally going to try it that way myself. Thanks for commenting!

Jessica on May 7, 2013 at 4:35 am.

Hi Tali,
Do you know if this recipe freezes well?

Tali Simon on May 7, 2013 at 9:18 am.

I haven’t frozen it so I can’t say for sure, but I think it would work. When I do try, I’ll leave a note on the recipe.

Tali Simon on June 2, 2013 at 11:00 am.

It freezes well! See my do-ahead note in the recipe directions.

Elana on May 7, 2013 at 9:44 am.

Hi, I’ve frozen it – it comes out a little mushy when you defrost it, but still delicious. I actually plan on making it today and freezing it for shabbos!

Tali Simon on May 7, 2013 at 11:58 am.

Thanks, Elana!

Grandma on August 19, 2013 at 2:51 am.

Why ever would you peel the zucchini?

Tali Simon on August 19, 2013 at 5:58 am.

That’s just how I like it. I also peel potatoes for potato kugel, though I guess that’s not strictly necessary.

Chava on August 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm.

Can I make this with frozen zucchini? About how many cups of zucchini is 6 medium zucchinis??

Tali Simon on August 25, 2013 at 6:51 am.

It’s about 6 cups of shredded zucchini. As for using frozen zucchini, I’ve never seen that in the stores. Interesting. I suppose that if you defrost and mix it with everything else, it should be fine. Let me know!

Gittel on September 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm.

Thanks! Delicious! I actually made it with spelt flour and it cam out perfect!

Tali Simon on September 4, 2013 at 5:01 am.

Good to know that works!

Bracha on November 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm.

Hi. Just made this for the second time, and I’ve tried a TON of zucchini kugel recipes. None come out as solid, yummy and awesome as this one! The measurements are perfectly balanced. Thanks! (And I got extra compliments when I brought it to a meal. ;)

Tali Simon on November 3, 2013 at 8:37 am.

The best comments are the ones like this, with people who love a recipe that’s been tweaked and tweaked. Thanks!

Amy on May 9, 2014 at 9:45 am.

Which food processor blade did you use? I hate hand grating, but I can’t seem to find a blade for the food processor that gives the same effect.

Tali Simon on May 9, 2014 at 11:47 am.

The shredding blade — it came with the processor. (In Israel they actually call it the kugel blade.)