Lentil vegetable medley

By | September 15, 2011

Although I love making things like brownie mosaic cheesecake and homemade Oreos, the truth is that what we eat on a daily basis is pretty healthy. (And also pretty cheap.)

Lentil-vegetable medley is one of those go-to healthy, satisfying meals. I won’t say it’s my favorite recipe (though it certainly tastes great), and I won’t say it’s my fanciest. But it feels wholesome. It feels…good. And there’s a lot to be said for food that feels good. (Potatoes, for example, sadly do not fit in this category. I love them and yes, I do cook with them, but I can’t say they make me feel good.)

The directions for this recipe call for using a food processor, but don’t shy away if you haven’t got one. I made this at least half a dozen times before we bought ours. Yes, it is quicker with the processor, but it’s totally doable even without.

I like to serve this for dinner with rice and a salad on the side. When I do, I often think of what my husband told me about his lentil-eating days as a single guy. Because they’re cheap and a source of protein, he took to buying them by the kilo and eating them plain. No vegetables, no seasoning, no sauce. When his stove top stopped working, he made them (more or less successfully) in the toaster oven.

That, my friends, is what I call “bachelor lentils.” And my lentil-vegetable medley? Married lentils.

What do you like doing with lentils?

Malka on September 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm.

I loooove the Chilean Lentils from Spice and Spirit. It is my go-to lentil dish and it freezes very well. I already made a batch for shabbos/yuntif! We started making it for whenever our friend vegetarians would come over and now we make it all the time – even my two-year old loves it!

Tali Simon on September 15, 2011 at 11:44 pm.

Mmmm, sounds really good. I’m probably the only Jewish woman on the planet who doesn’t have Spice & Spirit. [Hangs head in shame.]

Ester on September 17, 2011 at 11:17 pm.

I don’t have that cookbook either! You’re in good company!

I also make lentils for a quick, frugal meal. I made a sloppy joe variation with red lentils – I wrote about it on my blog last week.

Tammy Paul on February 2, 2014 at 9:13 am.

This is pretty what I inadvertantly made the first time I tried to make lentil soup :)
I never put enough water in my lentil soup, so it always comes out more of a stew than a soup. I’m going to have to intentionally do this at some point this week cuz it sounds/looks yummy.
I really wish I’d discovered lentils when I was pregnant and desperately trying to up my protein intake!

Judy Libman on August 13, 2014 at 11:51 pm.

This is very similar to a delicious lentil soup I make. I use red lentils, and throw in a splash of sherry.

Tali Simon on August 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm.

Mmm, sounds good.