Rosh Hashanah Special: Apple spice cake

By | September 23, 2011

When I baked my first brownie mosaic cheesecake in June, I immediately started planning to make it again. It seemed Rosh Hashanah would be a good enough reason to go all out, so I mentally put it on the menu. But when I sat down earlier this month to write out the full menu plan, I couldn’t do it.

What’s Rosh Hashanah without apples and honey? My heart cried out for an apple cake.

Since there are six meals (seven, if you count seudat shlishit), I figured two desserts would cut it for us. One would be this apple spice cake, and the other a honey chocolate peanut butter bombe. (For the uninitiated, a bombe is a frozen dessert made by layering different flavors of ice cream and/or ices in a bowl-shaped mold.) And there we have it, apples and honey.

Back to the cake.

This recipe uses all of those ingredients that are so good in a muffin — brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon, allspice. Plus, of course, the apples themselves. You could even call this cake a huge, glorified muffin. Glorified because of the caramel icing drizzled on top.

Although the cake is sitting in our freezer waiting for Yom Tov, I did take a small sample during the photo shoot. For your sake, of course. I wanted to be able to tell you from personal experience that it’s light and moist, sweet but not overly so…in other words, just about everything you could hope for in a Rosh Hashanah apple cake.

And that cheesecake I was supposed to make? It might just show up for Succos.

Rena on September 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm.

I think I will make this but instead of the caramel drizzle, do the crumb topping from here: http://morequicheplease.com/2011/12/apple-crumb-top-muffins/
What do you think?

Tali Simon on September 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm.

Really great idea! I haven’t baked for Shabbos yet, and I think you just convinced me to try this.

Rena on September 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm.

Please report back! Thinking it will be a great fall/Yom Tov dessert.

Tali Simon on September 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm.

It was a big hit. Blog post w pics coming on Monday!

Duby on September 10, 2012 at 8:02 am.

i found your blog today and i have been browsing all afternoon!!!

my question is about freezing – i too froze ALL my cakes and desserts.

im guessing you froze this cake WITH the glaze on top? Does that work ? I was under the impression that ishould do the glaze erev yom tov after the cake is thawed out.

What are your suggestions ?

Tali Simon on September 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm.

Welcome. :)

I’d say that for best results, add the glaze closer to serving time (aka erev yom tov, etc.) but that you could also get away with doing it in advance and freezing.