Homemade chummus

By | October 2, 2011

I implore you, do not buy your chummus in a store.

I’ve blogged about homemade crackers and homemade Oreos, and both are something of a potchke (well…maybe just the Oreos). What’s great about this chummus is that it is both homemade AND easy — it seriously takes five minutes. Most importantly, it tastes so much better that I can’t see myself ever buying it ready-made again.

I am very lucky to have married an expert in chummus garnishing. My husband worked in his yeshiva’s kitchen for about a year before we got married. It was there that he mastered the swirling technique that I just can’t seem to get right.

So although we generally split the cooking (me) and cleaning (him) down pretty even lines, when it comes to the chummus presentation, it’s always his job.

This chummus is sure to be a crowd pleaser at any Shabbos table. If you have any extra, make sure to squirrel it away for your weekday lunches. I’ve often been tempted to make another batch mid-week.

What kitchen jobs does your guy do? Or is he the main chef?

Miriam on October 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm.

Haha. Saw that first picture, was in awe of its beauty, and was going to ask for food styling tips. So, when’s your husband going to guest post his technique? That is some seriously impressive swirling you got there.

Tali Simon on October 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm.

Next time we make chummus, he promises a video clip. :)

But basically, you hold the spoon so that the back of it touches the chummus and swirl it around slowly. (Chummus will gather on the back of the spoon as you go, which is fine.) If you’re using a small dish, one go-around is enough. A full bowl like the one pictured has room for more. When you’re done with your central (or only) swirl, you bring the spoon up quickly at the end to get the raised part.

If that doesn’t help, stay tuned for the video. :)

Malka on October 2, 2011 at 7:35 pm.

ha! when we got married, daniel was also in charge of the hummus styling! that lasted until we realized that we did not eat enough of it to warrant such a large and pretty presentation.

Tali Simon on October 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm.

Funny! It must be a guy thing.

Bithia on October 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm.

It’s so easy – I started making my own homemade chummus after seeing Tali S. Simon do it. If you are entertaining, everyone appreciates fresh chummus! However, I cut down on the garlic from two cloves to one because some guests felt it was too sharp. But I guess it depends more on preference.

Yum!

Tali Simon on October 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm.

Woohoo! Now that’s a compliment! But always good to tweak a recipe to your own liking.

Maria on October 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm.

Thanks for posting the hummus recipe. I’ve been looking for a good one, and I’m looking forward to trying yours.

Tali Simon on October 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm.

Hope you love it as much as I do!

Ahuvah Taub on December 23, 2011 at 10:28 am.

Super yummy recipe. Simple and delicious. I finally got around to trying your chummus recipe. The recipe I usually use is too rich and flavorful and the kids don’t like it.

Rachel K on July 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm.

Made this today for shabbos, couldn’t help sneaking a taste – delicious! (and so easy)

Rena on September 24, 2012 at 11:26 am.

How long will this last in the fridge?

Tali Simon on September 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm.

At least three days, and you could probably get away with a fourth.

Andrea on November 17, 2012 at 1:05 am.

After travelling in Israel, it’s hard to eat Hummus in the US. We are making our own, but it’s not perfect yet. We’ll try this one. An Israeli told my daughter that the secret is to remove the little paper shell of the chickpeas. Seems like a lot of trouble. What do you think of that?

Tali Simon on November 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm.

I’ve made this with canned chickpeas many, many times and never found that necessary. This really is a 5-minute project, and the results are consistently good. (Check out my pumpkin chummus, too. That one’s even better.)

AILUY on December 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm.

Hello, Tali,

I have been lurking around your blog a lot lately and love it more and more. Thank you so very much. A question about chummus, or rather tahini paste. Would you happen to now a good brand available in the US? I have tried a few and can’t really find a good one. Also, when I buy a jar of tahini there is a lot of oil on top (up to about half a jar) and then the solids ( sometimes really SOLID). Do you get the same thing? What should I do with that, do I mix them together until uniform, do dump some of the oil?

Thank you very much.

Tali Simon on December 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm.

Since I’ve only tried Israeli brands, I posted your question on Facebook. I’ll let you know if I hear anything useful!

That oil problem sounds gross, ugh. The brands I’ve used here never had that. I would probably dump some and mix some in, for no other reason than that mixing it all in would kind of narf me out. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to you with something better than this. :)

Tali Simon on December 3, 2012 at 11:18 am.

Fb friends mentioned these brands:

– Lior 100% natural tahini (O-U)
– Yehuda (O-U)
– Krinos (chaf-k)
– Joyva (don’t know about the hechsher)
– Alkanater, sold at Costco (don’t know about the hechsher)

Andrea on December 8, 2012 at 1:05 am.

It’s a common problem, the oil separating out, here in the US. Stir it back in, but if it’s rock solid, I’d take it back to the store. Also, be SURE you buy Israeli tahini, we’ve seen brands in the store from places, shall we say, near Israel. We buy Joyva sometimes. But we have a VitaMix, so sometimes we just add sesame seeds into the mix.

Tali Simon on December 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm.

Thanks for your input.

sara on January 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm.

I made the Hummus and it tastes great! I’m just wondering if it can be frozen.

Tali Simon on January 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm.

I’ve never tried, but a quick google search tells me it should work. If it’s watery after defrosting, stir well. You can also try adding a little olive oil and then giving it a good stir.