Quick tomato dip

By | October 31, 2011

I love having interesting dips to serve with the Shabbos challah, but I always feel a little silly spending as much time on a dip as I do on a “real” dish.

That’s why I love this quick tomato dip — it takes just a few minutes, especially if you use my no-fail method for skinning tomatoes.

Two notes on the ingredient list:

1. Because this dip showcases your tomatoes, you want to get the richest, reddest, rubiest (is that a word?) tomatoes possible. If you have pale tomatoes, you will end up with a pink tomato dip. Trust me, I know.

(In my defense, these tomatoes were the best of the bin at my makolet on the Friday between Simchat Torah and Shabbos Bereishit. There was definitely no fresh delivery that day. So I manned up and made the pink dip.)

2. You may want to reduce the amount of garlic. Although I love garlic, four whole cloves seemed a bit too much for this little dip. (My husband thought it was perfect, though, and he tends to like less garlic than I do. Go figure.)

What’s going on your challah this week?

—-

Malka on October 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm.

Since you asked, roasted garlic dip, same as every week! I roast a garlic head in my oven, take out the cloves, and smush it up. I keep it on the plata and serve it warm with the challah Friday night. Literally have been making this since we got married. Always perfect and no fail!

Tali Simon on October 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm.

Haven’t had roasted garlic on challah in years! Must remedy this. Do you roast yours covered or uncovered?

Malka on November 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm.

top cut off, drizzled in olive oil and salt, wrapped in foil. bake in oven for one hour.

MR on October 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm.

Hey, how come the top photo of this post doesn’t make it to the shortlist of favorite food pics? Beautiful composition.

Ahuvah Taub on December 23, 2011 at 10:32 am.

Great quick dip. Plus love that it has mayo in it my kids love salatim with mayo. Maybe if I tell them this one has mayo they’ll actually eat tomatoes in non-ketchup form.

Tali Simon on December 23, 2011 at 11:59 am.

Kids and ketchup is hard to beat. Good luck :)