Succos menu plan: The in-laws are coming!

By | October 6, 2011

As the numbers currently stand, I will be serving 30 different dishes for Succos. And that’s down from 33.

This is because:

(a) I am potentially insane.

(b) I just really like to cook.

(c) I just really want my in-laws to like my food, no matter how much they already like me as a person.

(d) All of the above.

The answer, of course, is D.

I know it kind of sounds like a lot. But indulge me for a minute. We’re still in our shana rishona, and it’s the first time my in-laws are visiting since the wedding. It’s also the longest parent visit we’ll have had so far in our married life. So of course I need to impress them with my cooking. After all, who am I if not the Food Blogger Daughter-in-Law?

Also, it’s Yom Tov. Even though we just finished a three-day whopper, these only come a few times a year and I want to make it special. 30-dishes special? Yeah, maybe.

And finally, I would like to have it on record that I would not be doing this if I did not enjoy cooking and baking the way I do. Seriously, I want to spend every evening for the next two weeks in the kitchen. Um, I think.

So here’s the plan in all its glory. I sat down to figure it out on (what else?) Tzom Gedaliah. Then I whipped out the calendar we got somewhere for free and wrote what I’d be making each night until Yom Tov. And then…I summoned my courage and began.

Because I’m on this Impress The In-Laws Mission, I’m trying to repeat dishes as little as possible. On the flip side, because it’ll just be my husband and I on Simchat Torah, I plan to serve as many repeats as possible. Happily, Hubby loves leftovers.

—-

Succos Menu Plan
(Starred items are already in the freezer from Rosh HaShanah)

Meal no. 1 (Wed. night, Succos)

Meal no. 2 (Thurs. lunch, Succos)

Meal no. 3 (Fri. night of Shabbos Chol Hamoed)

Meal no. 4 (Shabbos lunch of SCH)

Meal no. 5 (Wed. night, Simchat Torah)

Meal no. 6 (Thurs. lunch, Simchat Torah)

So there you have it, folks. Succos starts in exactly one week, I have six dishes stored safely in the freezer, one baking in the oven as I type (that would be the lasagna), and that leaves me with…just 23 more to go.

Wish me luck.

(For more Yom Tov meal plan inspiration, take a peek at my 2011 Rosh HaShanah menu.)

Keshet Starr on October 6, 2011 at 3:17 am.

Just found your blog, and it’s very fun! I can always use menu ideas! Good luck with all of the Sukkos planning–I hosted a lot of people for Rosh Hashana and repeated as many food items as I could and it worked really well!

Tali Simon on October 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm.

Thanks, Keshet! Hope you come by often!

Malka on October 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm.

goood luck tali! my menu plan is – mom, mom, mom, mom,maybe home, and mom again.

Tali Simon on October 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm.

Don’t forget to bring home her leftovers!! :)

Malka on October 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm.

lol! doubt there wil be any! no cheesecake?

Tali Simon on October 6, 2011 at 8:04 pm.

Not this time. Decided to go with desserts I thought mom & dad would like better.

Sophie on October 9, 2011 at 3:59 am.

I can’t thank you enough for these ideas! I plan on using many of them…I just sat down at my computer motzei Yom Kippur and plan on shopping and cooking tomorrow, iyH.
I noticed that you don’t serve too much meat/chicken. Is this on purpose, or did you just omit it?

Tali Simon on October 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm.

Impressed that you had the energy to do that after the fast! All I did was eat, loll around, and go to sleep early. :)

As far as the meat and chicken: Yes, they aren’t on the menu and yes, it was on purpose. As I mention in various places on the blog, I’m a vegetarian and so everything you find here on MQP will be either dairy or pareve.

Let me know what you try and how it comes out!

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on October 9, 2011 at 4:31 am.

How did I not find your blog until now?! Your menu sounds amazing- can I come to you for yom tov?

I wish I were as organized as you. I’ve mostly been cooking on whims all week last week. This week I’ll probably have to start thinking of actual meals. Hmph.

Can’t wait to read more, going to subscribe now!

-Miriam

Tali Simon on October 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm.

Sure, pull up a seat. You can make friends with my in-laws. :)

After all that menu-planning, last week’s dinners were all done on a whim around here, too. I have a feeling this week (short week, but still) will be the same. Tonight, for example, I’m thinking scrambled eggs w sauteed veggies and… chocolate pancakes.

Glad you discovered MQP!

Rivki @ Life in the Married Lane on October 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm.

How exciting! I love having guests, and I’m sure your in-laws will be super impressed (though, if you end up having to cut yourself some slack, they probably won’t mind a repeat or two).

Your menu looks super yummy! Enjoy!