Chocolate-drizzled granola bars

By | November 27, 2011

Let’s start the week with some granola bars, shall we?

Now that I’ve gone and made real, bona fide granola bars, I find it funny that when the supply from my in-laws ran out, my first move was to bake some muffins. I guess I just didn’t know any better.

It wasn’t that I’d never heard of making granola bars at home. But the recipes I’d seen all involved using nuts, and those sneaky guys can really add up. It didn’t seem worth it for a breakfast recipe we’d gobble up.

So I put granola bars on the back burner.

Until one fine day, when Laura at Pragmatic Attic posted a nut-free granola bar recipe. Although we only know each other through our blogs, she said she’d actually thought of me when she made her batch. There were no two ways about it, then: These granola bars were meant to be. As in, meant to be in my kitchen. And stomach.

It’s a simple recipe, which is a good thing. If I’m going to be making these somewhat regularly (which is what I was looking for in a granola bar recipe), it can’t be too much of a fuss. If you count baking time, these aren’t quick per se, but if you’ve got other things to cook in the meantime, you won’t even notice it. (And isn’t there always something else to cook?)

They’re also flexible. I topped this batch with a pretty chocolate drizzle, but you could also stick in chocolate chips (regular or white) or raisins or craisins. Or nuts, of course. The truth is, they’d all be delicious.

But my husband said it best: “Nature Valley has nothing on you.”

Miriam on November 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm.

These look awesome. And I love that top photo. Granola bars ARE fun.

But suppose someone were to hypothetically have an immature, toddler-like aversion to coconut? Any way to skip that ingredient? Would one want to sub in another ingredient?

Tali Simon on November 27, 2011 at 9:49 pm.

You’re entitled. :) I’d try some crushed branflakes instead. Or maybe just make sure to add in craisins or chocolate chips for more flavor.

Laura on November 28, 2011 at 6:01 am.

I’m so happy to see that these worked out for you. It is always so liberating when you figure out how to make things for yourself instead of depending on store bought, don’t you think? They really do look much nicer with the chocolate drizzle (what doesn’t?). Nice pictures!

@Miriam–I wouldn’t hesitate to just leave out the coconut. I really love the flavor, and it is what Quaker uses, but it doesn’t make a difference to the texture so much.

Tali Simon on November 28, 2011 at 9:11 am.

It really is. And everything tastes better homemade, of course. :)

Thanks for your input there.

Jack on November 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm.

Those granola bars look very tasty.

Malka on November 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm.

looks yum! I too share an aversion to coconut so I’m glad its not essential!

Melanie Simon on December 16, 2011 at 12:56 am.

I made these granola bars, and they turned out excellently! Instead of coconut I used sweetened and dried cherries and blueberries, but they lost some of their flavour in the process. I plan on making them again very soon, and I may try using craisons or raisons instead. I was pleasantly surprised that the maple syrup taste wasn’t overwhelming, and in fact left only a subtle aftertaste (though perhaps that’s because I used a watered-down no-name brand of syrup…). as a student, these granola bars are perfect for taking with me to class or to the library.

Tali Simon on December 16, 2011 at 10:13 am.

Wait. One of my favourite Canadians is GLAD the maple taste wasn’t so strong?? :)

Ahuvah Taub on August 2, 2013 at 11:02 am.

I just made these and they turned out delicious. I didn’t have maple syrup on hand so I replaced it with honey. Also to skip the first step I used store bought granola with nuts and dried fruit (תענוג brand with no added sugar). I didn’t have patients to drizzle chocolate on top so I add chocolate chips to the mixture. I had some trouble cutting them up into bars. They crumbled a fell a part of bit. Any tips for a future batches?

Tali Simon on August 4, 2013 at 6:59 am.

Was it easy to pack the mixture into a cube before baking? If not, you may have not used enough maple/honey. It could be that the store-bought granola is dry and needs extra help to get it to hold together.

Ahuvah Taub on August 4, 2013 at 3:19 pm.

Yes, it was easy to pack into a cube. I think that maybe the problem was I didn’t press hard enough and also I didn’t make them thick enough. I would not like to add anymore honey as they were already fairly sweet. Thanks for the tips. I’ll let you know how the second batch turn out.

Ahuvah Taub on August 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm.

I already made a second batch of granola bars and it’s only been four days, technially the first batch was finished Sunday. This time I used date honey (silan) and what a difference! They held together nicely when cut into bars. This time around I pressed down really hard to compact the cube before baking. I think that baking the cube for five extra minute helped. Lastly, I liked the flavour with the date honey, less sweet than using honey or maple syrup and a good cheap alternative.

Tali Simon on August 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm.

Wow, the consistency of the honey vs. maple vs. silan must be a much bigger factor than I realized! Love silan. I’ll definitely use it here when I next make these.

Ahuvah Taub on August 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm.

Yes, the consitances are very different with each. I didn’t give it much thought either. I just asummed that honey could replace maple syrup. In the end the honey didn’t work as well as I thought, because it was too gooey even after baking. Can’t say anything about using maple syrup as I haven’t tried yet. But I think I like the texture and taste with silan (date honey) as they stuck together and stayed moist and were not too sweet.

Can’t wait to make granola bars again and again maybe with homemade granola and even maple syrup.

; p A little overly passionate for granola bars. Yup that’s me!

Thanks for the great idea of making them from scratch. Now I can never go back to store bought.

Tali Simon on August 6, 2013 at 6:09 am.

Now that’s what I call a success story!

Esther on August 7, 2013 at 1:43 am.

Can u freeze these bars?