Homemade Wheat Thins

By | November 29, 2011

Usually, when you make a homemade version of something you’d ordinarily buy, it tastes good but not exactly the same.

Take homemade Oreos, for example. They’re really delicious, and (with a group of friends) we finished them at an alarming rate, but you can’t really say they taste just like the originals. Same thing with homemade potato chips. Great snack, but if you had Ruffles in mind, you might be disappointed.

Which is why I still can’t get over the fact that these homemade Wheat Thins taste EXACTLY like what you get from the store. Let me repeat that: They are identical! They are cracker clones! It’s ridiculous!

In case you aren’t yet sold on these crackers, let me assure you that the recipe is simple and easy to put together. They bake pretty quickly, too, and since they don’t expand during baking, you can fit a lot on each tray.

They’re wonderful with chummus, white bean dip, or guacamole. Also cream cheese. Also olive dip (pictured). They’re delicious with soups, too. But never mind all of that. I could eat a whole batch plain, they’re so good.

Remind me to triple the recipe next time.

—-

Malka on December 1, 2011 at 11:39 am.

oh wow tali! you have made my day! cant wait to make these!

Tali Simon on December 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm.

Make sure to give ME one for each hand. :)

Laura on December 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm.

Oh, wow . . . I love DIY recipes. I have to try this.
BTW, I think the secret to recreating oreos is rolling them thin and using the right cocoa powder (double dutched black cocoa, like Hershey’s extra dark). Made with the right cocoa powder, the resemblance is uncanny.

Tali Simon on December 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm.

Do you mean roll the dough and cut out circles, then bake?
As far as the cocoa powder, that’s definitely not what I have in my kitchen…but maybe the next visiting relative from North America can bring some!

Laura on December 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm.

Yes, there is a Martha Stewart recipe that I like for this purpose:
You can use the dough for recreating thin mints (which I have done before) and for oreos. The dough is not so sweet, so it is good paired with melted chocolate or oreo filling.
I think that you can find dutch process cocoa in Israel, even if you can’t find the extra black kind. The Nesquik is made from dutch process cocoa, I think (each cup of Nesquik is about half sugar, I think).

Tali Simon on December 4, 2011 at 9:55 am.

I’ve never made cookie dough with powdered sugar instead of regular, so I’m really curious to see what it does. No egg? Now I’m really intrigued.

Yiska Ben Avraham on August 9, 2012 at 2:16 am.

How necessary is the paprika? Is it for taste or only for color?

Tali Simon on August 9, 2012 at 11:16 am.

The degree to which you can taste the paprika probably depends on the quality (and freshness), as well as whether you use spicy/hot paprika vs a more mild version. But still, a 1/4 tsp in relation to 1 1/4 cups of flour is just that, and I would venture to guess that they’d be just fine without it. Let me know if you try it!