As I work on this blog, I’m paying more and more attention to other people’s cooking blogs. Most of the food blogs I follow are by people also keeping kosher (those get extra points in my book), though there are certainly a handful of others that I check regularly. One of these days, I’ll put a blog roll up.
I was bouncing around from one food blog to another last night when I happened upon Got No Milk, which is full of dairy-free recipes. Since I’m not lactose intolerant and, being a vegetarian, usually don’t have a specific need for pareve dishes, I almost just clicked on to the next blog.
But then these quinoa corn patties caught my eye.
After all, I have quinoa in the house, I have a pile of canned corn, there are still a few eggs in that carton, and hey! I can probably cook dinner without running to the makolet!
It also helps that we like quinoa. Kind of an essential ingredient. (Though really, quinoa is pretty benign. Hard not to like, I think.)
Anyway, give these a try. It’s a fun, flavorful, filling way to get your whole grains. Be careful when you work that skillet, though. I managed to burn two fingers and am dunking them in and out of cold water as I write this.
You’ve been warned.
(Modified from Got No Milk)
- 1 + 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 + 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 can corn
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup tightly packed scallions, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 9 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- canola oil, for frying
1. Soak the quinoa in cold water for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and rinse well under cold running water.
2. While you’re waiting for the 15 minutes to be up, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until golden.
3. Add the rinsed quinoa, warm water, salt and pepper to the saucepan. Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes.
4. Turn heat off and let it sit with the lid on for 5 minutes before scooping into a mixing bowl (draining any excess liquid as you go). Stir in corn, eggs, scallions, and parsley. Add flour and mix until well combined.
5. Heat canola oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add spoonfuls of quinoa mixture to create the patties, about one large spoonful per pattie. Fry 3-4 at a time until golden brown on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain extra oil. Serve hot or warm, as a main dish or a side. (Sour cream or tzatziki recommended!)
Do ahead: These patties freeze nicely.