Tuna croquettes

By | November 20, 2011

Last week, I blogged about quinoa corn patties. If you liked those, you’ll love their cousin, tuna croquettes. Barring any tuna hatred, of course.

It seems to me that people either love tuna or hate it. If they love it, they’ll eat it all kinds of ways: Tuna sandwiches, tuna casseroles, tuna melts, tuna croquettes. If they hate it, they probably can’t stand the smell, either.

Clearly, I am a tuna lover. And so is my husband.

Quick shout-out to the StarKist mascot, Tuna Charlie. Or is it Charlie Tuna? I have a soft spot for little Charlie, not just because I like tuna or because I’m loyal to StarKist, but because I like the sound of it: Tuna Charlie, Charlie Tuna. My husband even let me name our internet “TunaCharlie.”

Um. Anyway.

If you like tuna and if you need a sandwich filler, try these tuna croquettes. I briefly thought about saving some for lunches during the week, but then we finished them with sweet potato fries and salad for dinner.

There’s always next time.

Darl on November 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm.

Those Tuna Charlie patties were delicious! As well, I like the new recipe-printable format.

Tali Simon on November 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm.

Thanks, Darl. Just added that feature in the hopes that it will make using the blog’s recipes that much easier.

B on November 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm.

Tuna Charlie! Tuna Charlie! Tuna tuna tuna Charlie.

Man. That’s surprisingly catchy.

Tali Simon on November 21, 2011 at 10:01 am.

I feel so understood!

Yiska Ben Avraham on July 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm.

Thank you for the soup mix proportions – I tried making this by guessing how much to put in, but I wouldn’t taste-test it (pre-egg, of course). Why?

I defy the Law of Tuna Affection. I can”t stand the smell of raw tuna but over the years I taught myself to like it in ways like this, where you can’t taste too much tuna. And if I ever do taste it in baked/fried things, I psych myself into ignoring it. (I think this was helped by working in a summer camp in the middle of nowhere – if I didn’t eat the baked fish, I wouldn’t eat.) So I would only try it AFTER it was cooked. I ended up with a couple of very salty runs of this.

Word to the carnivorous wise – make sure your soup mix is PAREVE – if you use fleishig soup mix, you’ve mixed meat with fish and you’ll have to throw out the whole mixture. Trust me.

Tali Simon on July 16, 2012 at 6:20 pm.

Ohhhh man. Good tip there on the pareve soup mix. Good of you to share!

Ailuy on November 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm.

These croQuettes are absolutely delicious, even though I am not a great tuna lover (Charlie is still cute). My question is ‘ What is on the plate next to them in the picture with the recipe’. That looks delisious also. May I please get a recipe or a link to one? Also, what would you suggest as a substitute for eggs? We just went through 6 days without power, so eggs were not available ( no refrigeration). I actually made these on day 1 or 2, while the fridge was still cold, to use up the eggs and scallions. However, by day 6 there were no eggs. What would you suggest? Not that I am complaining about the power outage. It was only 6 days (others still have no power, gas or hot water), and the 49-foot tree in the back yard fell AWAY from the house.

Thank you very much.

Tali Simon on November 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm.

You could try subbing out the egg with some mayo, cheese, or both. The egg is what binds the patties together, so anything else that fulfills that role would be fine.

As for what was on the plate next to them, those were baked sweet potato fries (more like potato wedges, though). You can see that recipe here: http://morequicheplease.com/2011/08/the-best-kind-of-french-fries/

Also. SIX days without power? I’m pretty sure I’d be complaining.

Yiska Ben Avraham on April 2, 2014 at 11:51 pm.

Just revisited these and they were a hit – thanks again for all your awesome recipes and ideas – and your budget-consciousness too :)