Beet & carrot latkes

By | December 25, 2011

Welcome to the planet’s prettiest latkes.

I like the traditional potato version as much as the next girl, but…these are practically PINK! I couldn’t not make them.

Speaking of which: One of the first things I noticed about this recipe was Savvima’s description of the latkes as jewel-toned. That made for an immediate bookmark. Natural jewel-toned food is just not something I can resist.

I like that this latke is healthier than the standard white potato mixture. Carrots and beets mixed with some eggs and whole wheat flour — not bad! …Okay, fine, I still fried them. If you really want a healthier latke, try the oven-baked variety.

The point is that these latkes are delicious. Over dinner, I lamented the fact that I have but one stomach. Because, really, if I had another? I’d reserve it for beet & carrot latkes topped with tzatziki.

MR on December 26, 2011 at 12:22 am.

Pretty pictures, pretty latkes. Approximately how many beets of what size, and how many carrots, did you use? I have no clue if 3½ cups of shredded beets is 1 beet or 7.

Tali Simon on December 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm.

I used 1 medium plus 3 small beets. Maybe 6 or 7 carrots from the bag.

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on December 26, 2011 at 3:58 am.

Those really are beautiful! (Shame I don’t like beets!)

Julie Joanes on December 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm.

nice photos Tali! I’ve had my share of latkes for this Chanukkah season, but I’ll try to keep this healthy option in mind for next year. I usually do sweet potato.

Tali Simon on December 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm.

Sweet potato latkes were on my list for this year, but I don’t think it’ll happen. Yum…sigh.

Elana Friedman on December 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Just wondering, does the food processor get stained red from the beets? I am always afraid to shred beets in the FP for that reason. Is it easy to clean? Really would like to try these, they look amazing.

Tali Simon on December 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm.

If you rinse the processor pieces right away, there shouldn’t be a problem. I find that I get “gentle” stains even from shredding carrots, but that they don’t last because I wash the stuff quickly.