Creamy roasted butternut penne

By | December 5, 2011

Yum. I just had two bowls of this, and I’m almost hungry again as I look at that picture. It’s just so good.

I’ve had the version on How Sweet It Is bookmarked for almost a month, and it felt like I was seeing variations everywhere. It was really about time I tried the butternut/pasta/cheese awesomeness for myself. Especially because I bought a mama of a butternut squash a few days ago.

I think of this dish as a grown-up version of mac & cheese. Roasting the butternut brings out the flavor beautifully, and isn’t it nice using produce when it’s in season?

How Sweet used mascarpone cheese, which I’ve never even seen, let alone tried. (My sister in school in NY told me recently that she saw a kosher brand there, so hopefully the New Yorkers among you won’t have trouble finding it.) After some very careful research (um, Googling), I decided I’d sub it out for sour cream. I considered combining heavy whipping cream with cream cheese, but that seemed too much trouble for just ¼ cup.

If you go with sour cream, too, I’d suggest mixing another ¼ cup into the penne before adding the squash mixture. It really boosts the creaminess.

Also: I used a full bag of penne although the original recipe called for just half a bag. I think the squash/pasta proportions would be better with 3/4 of a bag of pasta, which is what I list in the recipe below. Your call.

That I, the squash fan that I am, loved this recipe was no great surprise. But my husband loved it, too. And he doesn’t even like squash…or so he thinks.

—-

Nossi @ The Kosher Gastronome on December 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm.

I’m not sure where you live, but you can find Kosher mascarpone cheese even the wilderness known as Baltimore…For sure Trader Joe’s, and Whole Foods carries it, and I’m pretty sure most large supermarkets have it as well (over here, Shoppers has it also)
If you’ve never tried it, I highly recommend it, and once you whet your palate for Mascarpone, make real tiramisu, or better yet, a mascarpone cheesecake with it…I guarantee you’ll thank me
(of course, recipes provided free of charge if you want ;) )

Tali Simon on December 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm.

Baltimore is the big city compared to my yishuv! I live about 30 minutes outside Jerusalem, and without a car (which would = quick ride home), I can’t really bring dairy products back with me. You’re making me miss Shoppers — something I didn’t know was possible!

Nossi @ The Kosher Gastronome on December 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm.

Yeah, should have read your bio first
That is saying something if you’re saying you miss Shoppers…can’t stand that place
I’ve considered making mascarpone at home like Laura suggested, let me know how that comes out

Tali Simon on December 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm.

You know, I think I miss the concept of Shoppers: HUGE store with just about EVERY SINGLE food item you could imagine wanting, all a few minutes away by car. Hmm. Maybe it’s the car I’m missing!

Laura on December 6, 2011 at 12:01 am.

This sounds yummy–I have a butternut squash I bought for making butternut squash lasagna, but this looks easier.
BTW, did you know that you can easily make your own mascarpone with cream and some lemon juice? It’s true. I’ve done a couple of times.
Here is how:

Tali Simon on December 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm.

Thanks for the link. Do you have a cheesecloth? (Have you successfully used something else?)

Laura on December 7, 2011 at 1:14 am.

I do have cheesecloth, but that isn’t what I use. I bought a yogurt cheese maker, which is a fine mesh strainer for draining the excess liquid from yogurt to make labne. Coffee filters work too. Just line your regular strainer with the coffee filters. A greener solution is using a clean dish cloth in your strainer (the flat kind with no nap).

Tali Simon on December 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm.

Thanks. I don’t keep coffee filters in the house, but I’m sure a neighbor has one for me…

Shevy on October 29, 2013 at 7:34 am.

I made this over succos bein hazmanim and it was DELICIOUS!!! I told my husband it was grown up mac n cheese and he agreed. I think I did end up using a whole package of noodles and maybe a little extra sour cream and it was still nice and creamy. And it made a big pan which always makes me happy. It’s a few steps so I cut and roasted the butternut squash in the morning, made the noodles in the afternoon, and put it all together before dinnertime. Seriously love it!!

Tali Simon on October 29, 2013 at 8:05 am.

Yay! I’ve heard from so many people who loved this dish. Thanks for adding your thumbs-up. :)

Yael Maizels on January 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm.

BTW Gad dairy in Israel has mascerpone

Tali Simon on January 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm.

Thanks, I’ll look for it.

Liz on January 5, 2014 at 5:46 pm.

Thank you for the nice recipe. Have a great weekend!

aviva on May 21, 2014 at 3:57 pm.

does the dish get baked at 400 degrees like the squash?

Tali Simon on May 21, 2014 at 4:55 pm.

Yes, but come to think of it, it doesn’t need that extra heat. I’ll change the directions to say 350/180.