Soup with the Simons: Red pepper fennel

By | December 13, 2011

I {heart} fennel.

I know that’s really weird. But have you ever taken the time to photograph a bulb of fennel?

It is one funky-looking vegetable.

Doesn’t that shot look like King Fennel? With all his ruby red pepper people bowing in submission?

Moving right along here.

This is another soup for your winter collection, but it really isn’t “just another soup.” Red pepper fennel soup has a richness of flavor that you don’t get in your everyday veggie soup, matched by an equally rich color. The whole milk added at the end boosts the creaminess, and it’s thick without being too thick.

Basically, this soup is nothing short of an awesome dinner. I suggest serving it with little pieces of buttery toast or garlic pitas. (We had both.)

The original recipe says it serves 4-6, but the two of us just about finished off the pot tonight. If you aren’t serving this as a main course, you might make it through the six servings.

On fennel-checking: Before today, I was fennel-phobic. I didn’t know how to check fennel for bugs, so I just never bought it. Turns out it’s not a big deal at all.

You remove the top and discard, slice off the bottom so that you can more easily separate the layers, and check each layer under running water. You should be able to spot anything problematic very easily, and then just remove those with your fingernail. All I saw were some black dots…I can’t be sure they were bugs, but I got rid of them just the same. Of course, you should contact your rav with any questions that come up.

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on December 13, 2011 at 7:47 am.

Ok, I am going to admit- I am slightly terrified of fennel. But this soup looks so delicious- makes me want to try fennel anyway!

Tali Simon on December 13, 2011 at 7:50 am.

If it makes you feel better, my husband thinks fennel and kohlrabi are aliens. (He eats them anyway.)

Ester on December 13, 2011 at 8:18 am.

Yum! I made roasted pepper and fennel soup – but mine has tomatoes too. The acid in the tomatoes changes the flavor of fennel completely, but it was so delish! The whole family loved it! You can check it out on my blog at http://kosherfrugalmenus.blogspot.com/2011/11/tomato-soup-with-roasted-red-peppers.html

sina @ the kosher spoon on December 13, 2011 at 11:15 am.

thats so funny because fennel and kohlrabi are staples in my house!

i just made a soup with fennel tonight!

Tali Simon on December 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm.

Really? I love both but only buy them every once in a while. What’s your favorite use for kohlrabi?

Laura on December 13, 2011 at 7:56 pm.

I love the fennel and red pepper photo, and the soup sounds delicious. Too bad my husband hates fennel. I found out the hard way, when I made fennel orange salad when we were first married.

Chana on July 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm.

I’m going to try this tonight. PS would love kohlrabi recipes, want to use it but have no idea what to do with it.

Tali Simon on July 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm.

I actually developed a recipe recently that uses raw kohlrabi. It should be up within a few weeks here…people also roast it like you would do with potatoes.