Chocolate cake pop truffles

By | January 2, 2012

I’d like to introduce you to my first batch of cake pops.

Their full name is Chocolate Cake Pop Truffles With Maple Buttercream Frosting, Swirled In Blue-Dyed White Chocolate And Topped With Baby-Boy-Blue Sprinkles.

But you can call them cake pop truffles for short.

I mentioned a few days ago that I had cake pops on the brain. I watched the Bakerella videos (um, plus lots of others), and I just had to turn out perfect little cake pops for the bris our friends are making tomorrow morning.

The dipping chocolate would be blue, of course. And the sprinkles would be blue. And the rest would be magical.

There were a few problems.

The first was that I don’t exactly keep lollipop sticks in the house, and you kind of need those for cake pops. My makolet doesn’t stock them, either. Maybe there’s some specialty shop somewhere in this country that carries them, but I didn’t have time to search. (Note: Ask the next friend visiting from the States to bring some from Michael’s. Friend, are you reading this?)

The other thing was that I didn’t have candy melts or chocolate bark. I’ve melted chocolate chips for lots of other recipes, though, so I figured that would just have to do.

Well, what it did was nearly ruin my cake pops. But I’ll get to that in a minute.

The first part of the recipe went just fine: I baked the cake and made the frosting, then mushed and smushed to my heart’s content. The cake mixture had a nice consistency, soft but not too soft, and after a bit of time in the freezer and fridge, it was perfect for rolling into bite-sized balls.

And then I melted the chocolate.

I had nearly written off this recipe as “can’t possibly make this pareve” because of my limited baking supplies, when a reader suggested I just melt chocolate in the oven in a disposable pan (brownie points for Laura).

I don’t know what happened. I guess oven heat isn’t like stove top heat. I mean, it melted, but it was so…thick. It definitely did not drip from a spoon like the chocolate in the Bakerella videos.

I added some margarine and stirred. I added some canola oil and stirred. Desperate, I added some almond liqueur and stirred. It helped, but not enough. It was still not dip-able.

I was just about to have a minor panic attack that my 53 cake balls would be woefully bare. And then my husband suggested I try using the chocolate anyway. Just, you know, see what happens.

Oh. Okay. Right.

So I tried. And you know what? It didn’t dip, but it swirled. And I ended up with smooth little melted chocolate “hats” that are pretty cute if I do say so myself. The sprinkles sealed the deal, of course.

They aren’t perfect, but I like them anyway. They’re delicious, so that could be a factor. I may not be able to taste the coffee in the cake batter and the maple syrup in the buttercream, but there’s no two ways about it.

These.are.so.good.

Now if you’ll just excuse me for a minute. It’s 12:45 a.m. Cake pop truffle time.

Laura on January 2, 2012 at 3:00 am.

I’m glad you were able to forge ahead with this, although I feel bad you had problems with the chocolate. There are two possible causes: chips are specially formulated to hold their shape rather than be fluid when melted, and overheating can cause the chocolate to get thick.

White chocolate can be particularly finicky. I’ve had lots of grief in particular from the white chips. And that is with using a microwave or double boiler. Your instinct about adding oil was a good one. If it didn’t loosen up, than you probably overheated. White is very sensitive. Use a turned off oven and pull it out frequently to stir.

I think that if you can get your hands on some shufra or leiber’s pareve chocolate, which comes in colors and also bittersweet, you will find that this isn’t a problem. I think that the kosher/pareve bark is even better in terms of fluidity than the dairy.

As far as the sticks go, can you get wooden pop sticks or can you use coffee stirrers? Straws? I think cake truffles are just fine, they don’t need to be on a stick.

These turned out very cute!

Tali Simon on January 2, 2012 at 9:27 pm.

I’m definitely going to be looking for other sticks and for white baking chocolate in some form. I’ve only seen regular (brown) bars of baking chocolate until now, but it must be there somewhere…I hope.

Feels good to know that I’m not the only one who’s had issues with white chocolate!

Laura on January 3, 2012 at 12:50 am.

Yes, I actually had trouble with my white chocolate when I made my pops. The blue chocolate was perfect, the dark of course was fine, but the white was a little thick. And I was melting using a double boiler, and all were being melted the same way!

Malka on January 2, 2012 at 9:29 am.

hey tali! thanks for fulfilling my lifelong dream of making cake pops. now im not so scared anymore. have you ever tried using shmerlings? they make the best chocolate and prob white chocolate too (i dont believe in white chocolate…) and it melts very well. i love them, they are adorable!

Tali Simon on January 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm.

I felt the same way when I saw Laura’s post on cake pops.

As far as Schmerling’s, YUM — but so $$! Especially because there isn’t that much in each bar.

MM on January 2, 2012 at 11:10 am.

Well, hopefully the baby escaped with a name slightly shorter than that of the truffles. (And I won’t ask which one you think is cuter.)

I’ve successfully melted chocolate chips sans double boiler by using a ziploc bag (friend coming from the US, add those to your Tali gift list) immersed in boiled water –leave the bag in for a minute, take it out and smoosh it around, repeat as necessary. Food melted in a plastic bag is probably not super healthy, but since I do it so rarely, and usually only for food I’m sending other people, anyway, I don’t really sweat it. (Also, let’s be real: I’m making chocolate mashed with sugar dipped in more chocolate and sugar. Hi.)

To get my chocolate dippable, I usually use either chocolate chips or baking chocolate (cheaper), and I’ve added soy milk and canola oil to get it to a more pourable consistency.

Good luck! These were beautiful, by the way.

Tali Simon on January 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm.

I’m actually incredibly well-stocked with Ziploc bags in two sizes, thanks to my MIL. :)

Oh, and the baby only got one name. So my cake pop truffles win.

MM on January 2, 2012 at 11:19 am.

Um, I probably should have added that my above comment was referring to regular chocolate. I’ve only used white chocolate for pretty drizzles, not dipping, because any recipe I’ve ever seen has cautioned that white chocolate chips are often artificial, and while I have no idea how to say “artificial white chocolate” in Hebrew, the stuff is 8 shekel, you know?

But these looked so pretty –my first thought on opening this post was, “Oh, look, she got piping bags!” So definitely a happy accident.

Tali Simon on January 2, 2012 at 9:32 pm.

I’ve always just pretended I was using real white chocolate. (Ducks head in shame).

Piping bags are on my wish list! But the hot pink KitchenAid is no. 1.

Piping Bags on January 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm.

Oh my word I wish I had seen this recipe before Christmas…they look so tasty!

Tali Simon on January 5, 2012 at 7:32 pm.

A neighbor asked me to make a tray of them for his Super Bowl party next month — a funny game day snack, perhaps, but I’m not one to argue. :)

Ita on January 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm.

Tali, do you have a baking gemach near you? They might have it.

Tali Simon on January 5, 2012 at 11:31 pm.

Our (relatively small) yishuv has several great gemachim, but alas, none for baking supplies.

Ariel-Sara Gerowitz on September 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm.

YUM I really wish I could eat these right now ,please sell them!

Tali Simon on September 4, 2012 at 10:40 pm.

Actually, I have sold these in the past. :)

Yiska Ben Avraham on April 27, 2014 at 10:43 pm.

Tali, I just had to come to this post and tell you this.

I have also had cake pops on the brain, though at this point I am reserving them on a “when I have a real vacation day and send baby out” to-do list. But I also wondered if I would ever, ever find the right kind of chocolate for melting.

And then today, while looking for oatmeal, I stopped in my tracks. There on the shelf, right at eye level were…candy melts! Flat and coiny, just like Bakerella’s!

Taking a quick glance at the unstrollered toddler below, I decided to let her continue to take a package of chocolate chips from the bottom shelf. This needed my attention.

No, they weren’t weird leftover Chanukah gelt. The package said something like “Shokolad L’Afiyah.” I checked the ingredients to make sure this was real. Yep! I don’t remember the brand and they were only in white, but this was not some specialty bake shop. This was not some obscure store in Yerushalayim. This was Bar Col in Kiryat Sefer! Who woudla thought?

I immediately remembered your gallant and successful recovery from chocolate panic, and I had to come and tell you of my finding!

Have a lovely day :)

So I had to come and tell you :)

Tali Simon on April 28, 2014 at 11:03 am.

Crazily enough, I found a similar product a few weeks ago in Cheaperkol in Har Nof! A 500-gram bag of Badatz, pareve, white “shoko matbe’ot” (with no ingredient list) was going for 11 nis. I kind of just stood there with my mouth hanging open. They didn’t have any colors (is white a color?), but maybe they can be dyed successfully. Major excitement!