Fluffy maple biscuits

By | January 20, 2012

I was lying in bed the other night, thinking about biscuits. Specifically, about using up the milk before it expired by making biscuits.

The idea of biscuits was especially exciting because a big, beautiful bottle of maple syrup had just arrived in the mail from cousins of mine in New Jersey.

Maple syrup that is, oh, just one million times better than the cheap imitation I would buy myself.

As I drifted off to sleep, thinking about topping fresh biscuits with the maple syrup, an idea occurred to me. Why not infuse the biscuits with maple goodness from the inside? Why not add it to the batter and drizzle it on top?

And so I did.

The result was wonderful. Light, fluffy biscuits with a hint of maple. Topped with a little pat of butter and more syrup. You know, just to make sure you get the full maple experience.

They’re easy to make and (aside from the syrup) are made entirely from pantry items. Which means you should go make these right now.

Oh, right, it’s Friday. Well, you should make these on Sunday. Or motsei Shabbos. I won’t tell.

Photo notes: I rolled my dough out too much, and ended up with several too-thin biscuit circles. You might notice in the photos that I tried to remedy this by baking these one on top of the other. (Didn’t work. They baked just fine, but as two separate, still thin, biscuits. Learn from my mistake!)

(BDM -- before drizzling maple)

Laura on January 22, 2012 at 7:25 am.

Love the idea of maple syrup in biscuits . . . (and those twisted handle forks are really, really nice, too).

Tali Simon on January 22, 2012 at 9:10 am.

I mentally thank my mother for those all the time!

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on January 23, 2012 at 6:18 am.

I have been meaning to try biscuits- maple biscuits sound amazing. Yours are making me drool!

Irene Saiger on January 24, 2012 at 4:35 am.

These look delicious! I love the addition of maple syrup.

Irene

Yiska Ben Avraham on July 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm.

I have found one brand of parchment paper that says it’s good up to 180, and another till 200. Once I saw the edges brown. Do you have Super Deluxe Paper or a merciful oven, or will nothing happen?

In hopes of being able to wait the hour of the refrigerating,
Yiska

Tali Simon on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm.

My paper says it’s okay up to 200 C, but I’ve never checked that before and I’ve never had a problem. Sometimes the paper turns kind of brown (especially if I reuse the same sheet), but it’s never burned…

…except for that one time I made lentil pate in a toaster oven, and the parchment paper touched the oven ceiling and caught on fire. Don’t remind me.

Yiska Ben Avraham on March 18, 2013 at 9:29 am.

Using up the last of my flour…my experience with these has been that what makes the difference in height is the thickness of the dough rather than the refrigeration.

Tali Simon on March 18, 2013 at 11:05 am.

The thickness of the dough is definitely crucial.