Lace cookies

By | January 2, 2012

I know, I know. Three dessert posts in three days?

We eat healthy stuff around here, too, really we do.

It’s just that sometimes I want cookies. Like these.

I didn’t have any good reason to make them other than that. It was motsei Shabbos and with several hours of the night still left, I was in a major baking mood.

So I made a batch of chocolate-drizzled granola bars for breakfast during the week (um, they’re gone already) and some roasted potato wedges in lieu of dinner. But I made these lace cookies first. I didn’t want to wait.

I’m actually not such a cookie person, if you want the truth. I’d take bissli and cheese crackers over cookies and cake most days. But there’s just something about lace cookies that wins me over.

Maybe it’s because they’re wonderfully buttery (don’t make these with margarine, so not the same). Maybe it’s because they’re sandwiched together with a thin layer of melted chocolate. Maybe it’s because they’re chewy from the oven and crisp minutes later.

Whatever the reason, they’re actually amazing. You may have noticed that most of these pictures include half-eaten cookies. That’s a pretty accurate reflection of what went on here as they came out of the oven.

We finished the batch within, um, 30 minutes?

Yeah.

Disclaimer: For reasons I don’t quite understand, some people consider lace cookies a holiday treat for Dec. 25. Clearly not my motive. Just saying.

Malka on January 3, 2012 at 9:12 am.

YUM!

Shaindy @ HappilyHectic on January 3, 2012 at 7:31 pm.

Looks delish and reminds me of a really good friend of mine. Her mother used to ALWAYS buy these. Your pictures are absolutely mouth watering…

Yiska Ben Avraham on July 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm.

Does heavy cream come in some parve variety? (I don’t know this stuff.)

Tali Simon on July 26, 2012 at 4:54 pm.

I always use Rich’s whip for baking.

Rena on May 12, 2013 at 8:55 am.

Have you tried this with 100% whole wheat flour?

Tali Simon on May 12, 2013 at 9:02 am.

To be honest, I haven’t made these in several months, and I don’t remember specifically. Having said that, though, I wouldn’t hesitate to use 100% ww here. There are times that you really need white (like zucchini kugel, for example) but I don’t think this is one of them.