Penne with roasted vegetables

By | January 4, 2012

This wraps up the series of posts on Things I Cooked and Baked ‘Cuz My Friend Gave Birth. (Part 1: Intense cookies for the shalom zachar. Part 2: Cake pop truffles for the bris. Part 3: Bringing over dinner. Read on.)

Apparently, it’s common to bring chicken as a chesed meal. I guess it makes sense. Although I’m a vegetarian, I know you can make a great chicken dish by pouring sauce over the bird and baking. That takes, what, a couple of minutes?

Over here, the go-to chesed meal is penne with roasted vegetables. (Plus a salad with homemade dressing, plus something sweet. I’ve also included small amounts of plain pasta for young kids in the family.)

When I send pasta, I know the meal will be filling enough, and that’s really the main issue. Of course, I wouldn’t send this out if it wasn’t delicious — and it is, every time.

It’s hard to know what people usually eat at home and what types of foods they’d like to receive. I don’t have kids, but if it was me who was postpartum, I know I’d appreciate a tray of this yummy stuff.

What do you like sending out for chesed meals?

Pssst! Kosher on a Budget has a great post on chesed meals that’s worth checking out.

Malka on January 4, 2012 at 11:01 am.

Yum! I love this meal when you made it for us!! Perfect, and as you said – not chicken! The one and only!! Extra points for that, Tali!

Chocomama on May 17, 2012 at 12:38 am.

I’m thinking about making this for Shavuos (DH only does cheese on pizza, so this would work :) What do u think I can substitute for eggplant since I don’t care for it? Or can I just skip altogether?

Tali Simon on May 17, 2012 at 10:44 am.

You could either use more of the other vegetables (an extra zucchini, a pepper in a fourth color) or add some whole/halved mushrooms. I think you could gently saute the mushrooms, but if you want to roast them, they should go in the oven for a shorter period of time, probably 15 minutes.

Also – use your judgment in general with the pasta/veggie ratio. I often toss in a few more vegetables than the recipe calls for. Enjoy!

Sarah on July 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm.

[I discovered your blog a couple of months ago and have become a HUGE fan. Every one of your recipes I've made has come out fantastic, I have a long list of recipes I need to try, and the photos and writing are a pleasure!
I think this is my first comment, though.]
Wondering about leftovers of this dish — does it taste good cold too, or is it essential to warm it up?

Tali Simon on July 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm.

Thank you! I love hearing from happy readers.

Re: leftovers, we have definitely snacked on them straight from the fridge, but to use again for a real meal I’d probably reheat.

Rivkah on July 11, 2013 at 11:42 am.

Hey Tali

We really enjoyed this yesterday in this sweltering heat- thanks!
Also- kinda random but really like the simple yet delicious dressing and was wondering if you could direct me to other pasta dressings/sauces of yours that don’t include soy sauce?

Thanks!

Tali Simon on July 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm.

There’s a cream cheese-based dressing in Creamy Bow-Ties with Peas and Tuna, a roasted red pepper sauce in a post with about that name, and a quick balsamic/oil one in Simple Pasta Salad. Glad the penne went over well!