Brown-butter doubly delicious crazy cookies

By | February 27, 2012

So I was going to share a salad dressing recipe with you today.

But…then I went through the photos of these crazy cookies that I baked last week, and decided the dressing could wait.

Tell me, when was the last time you tasted a brown-butter doubly delicious crazy cookie?

Right.

That’s why you should keep reading.

These cookies are seriously amazing. I hope I don’t say that about every cookie I bake, because this time I really mean it. Like, really really.

They taste incredible. INCREDIBLE! Especially fresh from the oven, but it’s not like I would know about that from personal experience or anything.

The secret is the brown butter. If you’ve browned butter before, you know that the smell alone is basically magical. And that means that whatever you add it to gets that magic. Put it on butternut squash… put it in pie crust…and definitely put it in your cookie batter.

Oh, and there’s another secret: This cookie is really two cookies in one bite (as you may have gathered from the photos). And they flop all over each other. They will make you laugh with delight.

Or maybe that’s just me. Um, anyone else laugh at their cookies?

Normally, I most love my cookies when they come out perfectly uniform. There’s something so satisfying in that.

But these? I think I love them even more, and it’s because I never know what they’ll look like when I pull them out of the oven.

I’m pretty sure they dance in there.

Because I think these cookies are hilarious, they’re going to star (in two varieties) in our mishloach manot this year. (Shhh, don’t tell my neighbors.)

Eight batches of brown-butter doubly delicious crazy cookies, coming riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up.

Carol on February 27, 2012 at 11:18 am.

Tali, I wish you were my neighbor just so that I could try these. What I’d like to know is how you stop yourself from eating them?
Great post and great pix!

Tali Simon on February 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm.

Thanks, Carol. :) I actually made this batch as a gift, so I wrapped up almost all of them to send out. My husband and I probably each got two or three.

Pnina on February 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm.

im in love!
these look amazing!

Abigail on February 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm.

I have a question – which chocolate chips do you use? The ones I use def don’t look so yummy! (Please don’t tell me they are chalavi!!) Oh, and woohooo for being a neighbour :)

Tali Simon on February 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm.

This may be disappointing, but I honestly just use the cheapest brands in the store. Recently, that’s been Hamutag for milk chocolate and Oppenheimer for white (both pareve). Neither is especially good quality, but they’ve always tasted good enough.

Rena Z. on July 25, 2012 at 3:19 am.

Tali, I actually bought butter for what is I think the first time since I’ve been married just so I could try making these cookies. I have only one thing to say. O.M.G. !! thank you!

Tali Simon on July 25, 2012 at 11:19 am.

So glad that this was the recipe that got you to bake with butter! Good choice. :)