Coconut cake

By | February 8, 2012

Did you know that Pesach is in 8 weeks and 2 days?

I don’t mean to sound the alarm bells or anything. I just really want to use up my huge bag of coconut before then.

I realize that I am being (somewhat) ridiculous.

I realize that finishing the pitas in the freezer before Pesach is necessary, while finishing the shredded coconut is not.

But I get such satisfaction from finishing things, and Pesach is the perfect time to empty out our stores of food. I can’t really explain it. I mean, I’m just going to put whatever it is that I finish on the shopping list. And yet…I love finishing things off.

It dawned on me recently that I needed a new recipe that required coconut. Because of the huge bag in the pantry, and because I only use it for granola bars, and how many batches of granola bars am I really going to make in the next 8 weeks?

Not nearly enough.

So I baked up this pretty little coconut cake, and we’ve been munching on it all week. Okay, that’s been three days so far, but still.

This isn’t an overly sweet cake, which I’m hoping makes it a legitimate breakfast choice. Because, um, I’ll be taking a slice with me to work in the morning.

…Coconut’s a fruit, right?

Rivki on February 8, 2012 at 2:02 am.

Okay, enough with the Pesach reminding! I’m still thinking about Purim, for crying out loud. :)

This cake looks super yummy, and I have shredded coconut in my pantry right now! Also, my husband likes not-too-sweet cakes, so this should be perfect for us. Thank you!!

Tali Simon on February 8, 2012 at 3:11 am.

Oh, believe me, I’m far from done with Purim. We change our costumes every day, it seems. :)

Malka on February 8, 2012 at 10:48 am.

looks yummy but i don’t like coconut. her molasses cookies also use coconut.

Notable Except on February 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm.

Dear More Quiche, Please,

Well this just looks brilliant. I like the photos and the chopping board too.

But a query, you don’t seem to have an email/contact thing, so I hope you don’t mind me being a little forward and writing to you here. I have une petite question. If whilst one is surfing the netherworld of the cyberspace and come across various recipes that one likes but has no time to make, how would one send these recipes to Your Quicheness to facilitate their creation and perchance seeing them on this blog (as well as the possibility of tasting them – I have a fedex account)?

Many thanks,

Exceptionally Notable.

Tali Simon on February 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm.

Well. There is actually a “contact me” form on the About Me page, but I’ll forgive you for submitting your note here. Your Quicheness Herself would love recipe ideas and accepts links to such things at all times of day (morequicheplease(at)gmail.com).

As for the FedEx account…no need. I have me a fine delivery boy.

Missfrizzly on February 12, 2012 at 6:30 pm.

I’ve been following your site for a while – love your writing and your healthier recipes! Mark Bittman has a great recipe for banana bread in his ‘how to cook everything vegetarian’ cookbook- it calls for shredded coconut (and walnuts)…another good way to use up the coconut! Also, lemon bars with a coconut/shortbread crust ( not from his book, but I’ve made them from a blog recipe and they’re great, too).

Tali Simon on February 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm.

Thanks for your comment — I always love to see readers coming out of the woodwork! I have a long-lasting aversion to bananas, but love the sound of those lemon bars. Def going to look into that!