Soup with the Simons: Italian vegetable

By | February 22, 2012

I have a special soup for you today.

It looks like ordinary vegetable soup, right? Not the kind of soup you could be especially proud of?

That’s what it wants you to think!

But it’s just the opposite.

This soup has a depth of flavor so rich, so full-bodied, that it puts other soups to shame. I suspect this is the kind of flavor you can only get from dry red wine.

The funny thing is that I’m not even a big wine person. Neither is my husband. But it’s happened twice in the last couple of weeks that Shabbos guests we hosted brought wine, and so here I was with two half-bottles of dry red.

My husband assured me it’d be gone after Purim (thanks, honey), but I wanted to try using some in cooking first.

And boy am I glad I did.

I made this soup a couple of hours ago and have been sneaking cups of it all afternoon.

Let’s hope there’s something left for the husband by the time he comes home.

Wish me luck with that.

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on February 23, 2012 at 4:29 am.

This soup looks amazing! I kinda wish I had a bowl of it right now!

Notable Exception on February 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm.

Looks brilliant. What do you think of red wine in chicken soup? Hmmm, possibly not the best question to ask you,

Ooh, is that homemade pita? Any good recipes for it?

Tali Simon on February 23, 2012 at 8:57 pm.

You’re actually the second person today to ask whether I made those pitas. Sadly, I did not. (But Shiffon did a nice job.)

And yes, sorry. I’m not much help when it comes to chicken soup. :)

Laura on February 29, 2012 at 2:50 am.

I made a variation of this for Shabbos. I added potatoes and used sherry instead of red wine. Plus I reduced the liquid and skipped the soup powder. Delicious!

Tali Simon on March 1, 2012 at 12:35 am.

Skipping the soup powder was a good call, it can definitely go. Glad you enjoyed!

becca on May 23, 2012 at 10:09 am.

Do you think this.soup would.freeze well?

Tali Simon on May 23, 2012 at 10:22 am.

I haven’t tried freezing it myself, but soups in general do freeze well. I’d say it’s worth a try.