Iced coffee

By | March 28, 2012

Iced coffee. Where do I even begin?

To say that I {heart} iced coffee doesn’t even scratch the surface. It would be, like, the understatement to beat all understatements.

I could drink iced coffee all day, every day. And then maybe be awake all night…irrelevant!

I’m talking, of course, about Israeli iced coffee. The kind that’s so slushy it’s almost thick, not the cold coffee with ice cubes that I ordered once at Dunkin Donuts and then nearly cried over.

When the weather starts to warm up here, every bakery and his brother sells iced coffee. Do you know how easy it is to drop 5 shekels for one of those little plastic cups filled with coffee heaven? Too easy, let me tell you.

But here’s the thing: Our yishuv doesn’t have a place that sells iced coffee. How not one of the 350 families here has invested in one of those machine things is beyond me — but the facts remain! No.iced.coffee.

Unless you make it yourself.

So I treated myself to a milk bottle. A real milk bottle. With COWS on it.

And I started making iced coffee.

I’ll admit that the perfect consistency is hard to achieve. You can either keep your bottle in the fridge and then transfer it to the freezer 45 minutes or so before drinking, or you can keep it in the freezer and then let it sit on the counter for a couple of hours until it melts enough to shake into the right amount of slushiness.

Either way, it’s an exercise in delayed gratification. But it’s better than having your iced coffee diluted by crushed ice cubes. Bleh. And when you do get that consistency, it’s like a little swig of pure delight.

So go ahead, make yourself a bottle. Then hide it before the others find out.

My husband doesn’t drink coffee, and it’s a good thing. Because I totally don’t want to share.

Rachel B. on March 28, 2012 at 10:42 pm.

If you’re going to go to all that trouble, at least brew the coffee! Get a french press!

Tali Simon on March 28, 2012 at 11:28 pm.

Hey, I have no problem with accepting donations…

Tehilla on March 29, 2012 at 1:12 am.

MMMm…..now I’m craving Israeli iced coffee…
The minute it gets warm outside I start drinking iced coffee…but with ice ( don’t puke Tali). But you are so right. The slushee stuff wins

Tali Simon on March 29, 2012 at 10:12 am.

No puking over here. :) But this is definitely one of the perks of living in Israel.

Miriam @ Overtime Cook on March 29, 2012 at 2:50 am.

Ever try freezing milk in cubes and blending it with the coffee? That’s absolutely the most delicious way to make thick ice coffee.

Tali Simon on March 29, 2012 at 10:13 am.

Ooh! Great idea! Will definitely try that.

Malka on March 29, 2012 at 5:40 pm.

Please dont knock my iced coffee please! cold brewed is so goood.

Tali Simon on March 30, 2012 at 1:56 am.

To each her own!

linda friend on April 16, 2012 at 5:31 am.

hello–i stumbled upon your blog and i love it! my son is severely allergic to wheat–he is traveling to israel this week with his 8th grade class. i ma trying desperately to find out the gluten free status–or ingredient listing of the iced coffee/iced chocolate slushies founds at both the aroma coffee shops and else where throughout the country. do you know anyone who could help me with this? thank you in advance for your help!

Tali Simon on April 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm.

Hi Linda, glad you found MQP! I’ll see what I can find out about the iced coffee drinks.

elana on April 21, 2013 at 1:28 pm.

Amazing- tastes exactly like iced coffee – and a fraction of the cost! Thanks for posting!