Soup with the Simons: Pumpkin black bean

By | March 3, 2012

I’m a little over-excited about this soup.

It’s so good that I don’t even know how to tell you how good it is. Yes, that good (!!!).

This soup is quite possibly the BEST — best! — soup I have ever tasted. Ever! Tasted! In all my 25 years of soup-eating!

It might be the browned butter, which makes sauteed onions and garlic so insanely good.

It might be the fresh pumpkin puree, which I have been putting in everything from chummus to lattes to mini muffins.

Or maybe it’s the balsamic vinegar, added at the end almost as an afterthought.

The point is, you need to make this soup.

I tasted it for the first time after I took these photos. I just could not believe how good it was. I mean, I’ve made lots of good soups before. But this, this one is in its own category.

I fished the pot out of the fridge later that afternoon to take “just one spoonful.” That turned into 12. Yeah.

When we sat down to dinner, I decided not to spoil the surprise. Instead of telling my husband he was about to taste the best soup in the universe, I’d see what he thought without my prompting.

He took a spoonful. I watched his eyebrows shoot up in delight.

His first bowl of soup was gone in about a minute.

And the entire pot was gone by the end of the meal.

Ariella on March 7, 2012 at 5:15 am.

I made this soup but was very pressed for time so did not skin or seed the tomatoes. Honestly I didn’t notice the skin or seeds at all since it’s not a smooth soup. It was really good!

Tali Simon on March 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm.

Nice shortcut!

Linda on July 22, 2012 at 9:40 am.

Well done, I wanted to adapt that recipe too.

marcia greenberg on October 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

Hi, what about using canned pumpkin???

If no, what size pumpkin do you think I should get????

thanks so much.

Tali Simon on October 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm.

Since canned pumpkin isn’t readily available in my area, I’ve never tried it and can’t speak from experience. If you try it, make sure to get pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).

As far as fresh goes, my grocery sells chunks of pumpkin that are about the size of half a large butternut squash. One of those chunks would probably yield enough for this recipe, though I always buy several and freeze the puree in half-cup portions. Good luck!

malka on October 10, 2012 at 7:51 am.

I always use canned pumpkin for my pumpkin-black bean soup. And I never blend it bc the pumpkin makes it thick and creamy already.

Tali Simon on October 10, 2012 at 8:54 am.

Thanks for adding that.

Pnina on November 19, 2012 at 11:04 am.

Where do you get canned black beans in Israel? I only see the white beans in tomato sauce in the supermarkets here….

Tali Simon on November 19, 2012 at 11:08 am.

In Yesh and Rami Levi, they’re right next to the other canned items. Not something you should have to go to a specialty store to find.

Pnina on November 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm.

nope, was at Yesh, didnt see it. Maybe they dont bring it to Haifa…oh well…I’m gonna try this with white beans and see how it goes….

Tali Simon on November 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm.

Let me know!

Pnina on November 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm.

yeah, didn’t come out as great as you wrote (still edible though hehe). Next time (if I can find the black beans) will definitely have to try this again!

Lily B on February 6, 2013 at 8:22 pm.

I tried with black beans and was not really impressed. I did make it parve so it must be the brow butter but I love your blog in general!!