Blue & white cheesecake squares

By | April 25, 2012

If there was ever a day for celebrating Israel, Yom Ha’Atzmaut is it.

These blue and white (sorry, kachol v’lavan) cheesecake squares are made with gvina levana, a delicious soft white cheese that makes a frequent appearance at Israeli breakfasts. Oh, and in my dilled dairy quick bread.

These perfect little squares are light enough for the warm weather but rich enough to satisfy your cheesecake craving. And with that pretty blue swirl, they’re basically irresistible.

Happy Yom Ha’Atzmaut, and check out my step-by-step photos and the recipe on Joy of Kosher!

Update 5/31/12: A friend made a chocolate swirl version of this cheesecake by mixing ¾ Tbsp cocoa powder with the reserved filling. This sounds like a better idea than using melted chocolate (as I suggested in the comments) since it eliminates the hardening issue.

Shaindy on April 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm.

So festive! And they look really good too…

Ahuvah Taub on April 26, 2012 at 12:28 am.

Great recipe simple and easy. I’m totally using this recipe for Shavuot. Would it work with all 5% Gvina Levana. How would you replace chocolate instead of the blue swirls?

Tali Simon on April 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm.

I imagine it would still work with all 5%, but try it and let me know!

As for chocolate swirls, there are lots of ways to do it. Try melting a bit of chocolate and mixing that into the reserved cheesecake filling. If you make it, upload a picture to MQP’s facebook page!

Ariel-Sara Gerowitz on May 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm.

I just made it with all 5% because I forgot to buy both, tastes great! Easy recipe, thanks Tali!

Ahuvah Taub on May 25, 2012 at 10:10 am.

So I made this recipe with all 5% Gvina Levana. And added melted chocolate to the reserved cheese filling. It worked well, but you have to work fast as the chocolate hardens. (I used regular dark chocolate as that is what I had on hand.)

Well, it was super yummy according to the kids, as they ate all the edges for breakfast.

Tali Simon on May 25, 2012 at 11:22 am.

Love it.

And good point about the chocolate hardening.

Yael @ countrymousecooks on April 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm.

Gorgeous!!