Utterly perfect potato kugel

By | April 1, 2012

World, meet your new favorite potato kugel.

I don’t mean to brag, but it’s perfect. A thin crispy golden top layer that covers a deliciously soft, light, moist, flavorful little pillow of potato.

You will want seconds. You will want thirds. You will want — dare I say it? — the entire pan.

Of course, this really isn’t bragging because I didn’t create the recipe. It’s the one my mother found online years ago, after careful searching and reading of reviews. My siblings and I all loved it, but what I love even more is being able to recreate the magic in my own kitchen.

Because, you know, it means I have arrived!

Since this recipe is kosher for Pesach without any modifications, I was really intent on sharing it with you this week.

But of course it had to be the last thing I made Friday afternoon. And of course I had to photograph it perilously close to candle-lighting, and of course there was only one photo I deemed worthy of sharing with you.

…And of course even that one doesn’t do the kugel justice, because, as I hurried to plate it, part of that crispy top ripped away.

So you’ll have to take my word for it. And then add it to your Pesach menu, stat.

This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something — anything — on Amazon through these links, a (very) small portion of your purchase helps support More, Quiche Please. Thank you!

Rachel B. on April 3, 2012 at 10:32 am.

Thank you! Potato kugel is my weak spot and I am planning to make it for last-days meals. I’ll try your recipe and report back.
Now I have a recipe for you – seems like something you would like. I never tried it but i am curious!

Tali Simon on April 3, 2012 at 11:11 am.

I do love avocados but am having a hard time imagining them as the base for a frosting. I think the most adventurous thing I’ll be doing with them this chag is making guacamole!

Would love to hear how the kugel goes over.

Ahuvah Taub on June 29, 2012 at 11:42 am.

Love this recipe, but I couldn’t leave it exactly as is, so I added a chopped (using food processor) zucchini and carrot. Adds a nice colour and flavour.
Supper yummy especially when still warm out of the oven.
(I picked up this habbit from my mom: use one large casserole dish and a small one make sure they fit side by side in the oven. Then you have a mini kugel to eat before Shabbat! Don’t they say you should have a taste of the food before Shabbat. Or maybe it’s just my family’s Minhag : )

Karen Klein on August 18, 2012 at 1:47 am.

In your recipe for utterly perfect potato kugel you say to grate the 6 potatoes in a food processsor. However in picture it looks like they were shredded. I really like your blog and all your recipes. I have one problem. Whenever I click on to a recipe the headline is there for a millisecond and then it disappears. Do you know why that happens?

Tali Simon on August 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm.

Good catch, Karen — those potatoes should be shredded (into thread-like shapes), not grated (which would produce more of a pulp). I corrected the recipe directions.

As far as the problem with post titles going MIA, I’ve never seen that happen before. Which browser are you using?

Karen Klein on August 19, 2012 at 4:29 am.

I don’t know much about browsers but when my daughter comes by I’ll have her take a look. Keep up the good and interesting blog. Hatzlocha to you

Duby on April 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm.

hi Tali,
i made this kugel recipe for Pesach and it had delicious flavor !!! my one problem (maybe you can help me with) is that there were pieces of “gumminess” or jelly that i found myself chewing on. (gross!) im guessing this was pieces of potato starch … any suggestions on how to avoid that in the future ??

thanks !!

Tali Simon on April 7, 2013 at 10:37 pm.

Ew. Definitely gross! I’ve never had that problem, and I’ve probably made this kugel 15 times. A couple of thoughts: (1) Was the water you poured on top of the potato starch very hot? I use water that is just shy of boiling. (2) Did you dump the potato starch in one place, instead of sprinkling it over the top of the batter? (3) If all else fails, you could try sifting the starch into your batter. While I’ve never had to do that, it might solve the problem.

Duby on April 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm.

Im definitely going to try it again….. my husband actually was in charge of following the recipe – and i have a feeling he just dumped it in.

my mother in law suggested that in general with potato starch it can get clumpy / gummy (we had the same problem with cottage cheese latkes!) and she was suggesting to mix it separately with teh water – like a roux – and then adding it to the batter.

Interesting though that you didnt have a problem. Either way, we loved the flavor of it and the overall consistency, so i’ll have to make it again !

thank you !

stellagirl on October 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm.

If I don’t have a grater, can I use my metal “S” blade? Will the difference in texture make a difference?

Tali Simon on October 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm.

No, if you use the S blade, the potatoes will become mush and the texture of the kugel will be completely different. What makes this kugel so light and fluffy and lacy is the strands of potato. But if you have a food processor, chances are that it came with a shredding blade!

Nesya on April 2, 2014 at 10:48 am.

This is indeed a fantastic potato kugel and even people who don’t like potato kugel have been known to enjoy it. Looking forward to having it over Pesach (though I make it all year round). By the way, it’s true that the recipe can be found online, but it’s originally from the Kosher Palette Cookbook.

Tali Simon on September 8, 2014 at 9:39 pm.

Thank you for clarifying the source!

Leah on September 8, 2014 at 7:30 pm.

saw this on the freezer friendly list- any suggestions of how to do that- never froze potato kugel before. Thanks

Tali Simon on September 8, 2014 at 9:41 pm.

Let the kugel cool completely, and then wrap it fully in plastic wrap (go around twice). Press the plastic down onto the top of the kugel so there’s no space between. Once the kugel is wrapped like that, you can cover with a layer of foil or just the dish’s lid and freeze. I usually defrost kugels by fully unwrapping them and letting them sit out at room temp for a few hours, then warming them in the oven. Good luck and enjoy!

(I posted these freezing directions to your comment on the butternut squash kugel, too. Thanks for asking in both places — I’m sure this will help someone out.)

Bracha on September 14, 2014 at 8:19 am.

Oh my Goodness!!!! It tasted like a big potato latke! It cam out a bit oily, but my fault for not reading the directions properly. :P
Very yummy, and will definitely be making it again. :)

Tali Simon on September 14, 2014 at 10:49 am.

Glad you enjoyed!

aviva on October 8, 2014 at 5:30 am.

it’s not pesach now and i don’t have potato starch- any substitutions?

Tali Simon on October 8, 2014 at 7:19 am.

Potato starch is sold year-round and it has a lot of uses in cooking. Since it isn’t expensive and keeps well in the fridge or freezer for a long time, I would keep it on hand just for this kugel (and for latkes), since it contributes to the texture that makes these things so good. I haven’t tried it with flour or anything else, but if you do, please let me know how it goes!