Eggplant parmesan stacks

By | May 13, 2012

This recipe started as a classic eggplant parmesan. We had it on Pesach, actually, and brought it to a potluck-ish meal with friends. It was delicious and went over well at the table, but I wasn’t quite satisfied.

When you layer up sauce, eggplant, cheese, and potentially other vegetables (I had used mushrooms and fresh herbs), there just isn’t room for more than two layers. I wanted less sauce, more eggplant, and more of that creamy cheese.

And that’s how I got to making eggplant parmesan stacks.

Although this is not intended as a Pesach recipe, I suggest using matzah meal to bread your eggplant slices. It’s got more depth than regular flour and it gives the eggplant a great outer crust.

So you slice, dip in beaten eggs, then dip in matzah meal.

And then fry. You don’t need tons of oil — this isn’t deep-frying — but make sure the bottom of the pan is coated. You’ll go from this…

To this!

Ignore my dirty stove top. Yes, I should really have cleaned it if I was going to be taking pictures. But this is real life. I didn’t feel like cleaning my stove top.

Anyway. Set aside the eggplant to cool on a paper towel-lined plate and prepare the other ingredients.

Layer them up, sprinkle some extra cheese on top, and pop it in the oven to heat thoroughly.

These would make a fun appetizer for Shavuos, by the way.

Sue Goldian on May 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm.

If you don’t have any matzoh meal left over from Pesach waiting get used up before its sell-by date you could probably get the same effect with bread crumbs.

Tali Simon on May 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm.

Good tip, thanks!

Pnina on May 14, 2012 at 11:03 am.

wow- min hashamayim! i was thinking of making this tonight!

Malka on May 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm.

tali you are brilliant! this looks great!

Malka on May 24, 2012 at 8:40 pm.

I made this for yuntif – how long do you think I should warm this up for on Sunday? (I use a plata.)

Tali Simon on May 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm.

Hard to say — I feel like every plata is different (and often temperamental). I would put it on for an hour (maybe a bit less) and probably cover it with a piece of foil that has a few holes poked through so the steam doesn’t drip back down and make them soggy.

Malka on May 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm.

thanks!

Esther on May 15, 2014 at 5:36 am.

Sounds good..can this be frozen? If so, how should it be baked after freezing? Thx.

Tali Simon on May 15, 2014 at 11:03 am.

I haven’t frozen this dish myself, but my hunch is that it would be better if you used something other than cottage cheese, since I’ve had poor results when I froze that in the past. Either way, I would freeze without baking and then bake before serving.