Kitchen Tips: Stove top popcorn

By | May 29, 2012

How do you take your popcorn?

With butter? Seasoning? A hefty dose of chemicals?

You know what I mean about the chemicals. Microwave popcorn always leaves me feeling like I just ate something that can’t quite be classified as food. And that’s really not the reaction you want from a snack.

But stove top popcorn? It has every virtue in the book. (1) It tastes like food, not manufactured flavor. (2) It’s incredibly cheap. (3) It’s fast and easy. Promise.

In about a minute, you go from this…

…to this!

It doesn’t look like much when you pour those kernels in the pot. It’s almost — dare I say it? — magical to see the way it expands into a full bowl of popcorn. I mean, look at these guys.

Love it.

Popping your own popcorn may seem intimidating if you haven’t yet tried it. But as long as you use the correct kernel/oil ratio, it’s easy as pie. Or…quiche. (That works, right?)

You’re welcome.

Rachel B. on May 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm.

Great post! I like nutritional yeast on mine (I brought it from America – don’t know if you can get it here)

Tali Simon on May 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm.

I had to Google that to see what it was, and now I’m really intrigued. I think they should come up with another name, though. :)

Laura on May 30, 2012 at 4:23 am.

I put the lid just a little askew while the popcorn is popping so that steam can escape–the popcorn is more tender.

Hindy on May 30, 2012 at 5:49 am.

We do stovetop all the time! Hate the microwave stuff! My husband loves to put nutritional yeast and lemon pepper on his. I like mine with the yeast and some dill. I call that version “crack.”

Tamar Genger on May 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm.

I usually make mine in the microwave with a paper lunch bag, just to avoid the extra calories form the oil and it is so easy, but not gross like the store bought micro kind. You just put the kernels in a bag, fold the top and micro for about 2 minutes. But I made this kind on Yom tov for the kids last week and it was good, the oil flavor came through. I like seasoned salt and a bit of Kernel Seasonings flavored toppings.

Tali Simon on May 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm.

The paper bag/microwave option is also great for reducing the pile of dishes. I tried that a few times in my former, microwave-owning life.

MM on June 3, 2012 at 11:44 pm.

Oooh, I do this when the erev Shabbos panic hits, and I start worrying that our guests will starve all Friday night*, in our Bisli and Dorito-free home. So this is pretty much the last-minute default when we have seminary girls/ yeshiva boys for Shabbos.

(*The answer, in case you were wondering, is that they don’t starve. And they usually bring their own Bisli and Doritos and gummies and eat them in their room. But we like popcorn, so it’s all good.)

Tali Simon on June 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm.

Times have changed! I never brought snacks when I went away for Shabbos as a seminary girl. I don’t think it even occurred to me.