Creamy bow-ties with peas & tuna

By | August 2, 2012

I have a confession to make. Are you ready?

We just bought peas for the first time last week. Meaning, for the first time since we got married. In November 2010.

And I’m a vegetarian. What have we been eating if not peas!?

Okay, lots of other things. But seriously, there is no excuse. Especially because we both like peas. I know. It doesn’t make sense.

But now that we have peas in the house, I’m finding lots of things to do with them. We may or may not be eating them every other day. We may or may not need a lot more peas soon. It’s good stuff.

Creamy bow-ties with peas and tuna makes a great no-bake, stove-only main dish. Plus, it gives you protein, a vegetable, and a carb all in one. That’s a complete meal in my book.

Other variations of this dish call for mayonnaise-based dressings. I prefer my favorite cream cheese, the one by Napoleon that’s just bursting with garlic and dill. (You should be able to find it in any Israeli grocery store. Not in Israel? Try plain cream cheese, or another savory flavor that would complement peas and tuna.)

This dish is kid-friendly, adult-friendly, and summer-friendly: win-win-win.

AND it has peas.

Hindy on August 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm.

I am amazed that you have never bought peas! I think I put peas in everything! It’s a staple in our house! I love this dish you made. We make something similar in our house and it’s pure and simple comfort food.

Rena on August 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm.

Yum, looks so good!
Love your recipes!! Just curious- you are a vegetarian, but eat fish? So you just don’t eat mean and chicken?

Tali Simon on August 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm.

Correct. Apparently, that really makes me a pescetarian — but who actually uses that word? I always just refer to myself as a vegetarian.

Victoria (Itsy Bitsy Balebusta) on August 14, 2012 at 2:53 am.

I love the sheer simplicity and flavors here! Can’t wait to try it out! I’ve never thought to add peas to a tuna pasta salad – so interesting!

Malka on November 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm.

Made a modified version of this yesterday, it was great. Thanks so much Tali!

Liz on January 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm.

Nice recipe. Thank you and have a great Sunday.