Pomegranate white chocolate blondies

By | September 20, 2012

Anyone else have leftover pomegranates lying around? See if you can guess what I’m going to suggest you do with them.

Truth be told, part of me didn’t want to post this recipe at all. A pomegranate dessert two days after Rosh Hashanah seems about as relevant as a matzah lasagna recipe two days after Pesach.

Unless you have a leftover pomegranate.

Or unless you love all desserts that are crispy on the top and fantastically chewy on the inside, and downright stunning to boot.

The stunning part is hard to ignore. And! It’s natural beauty! I didn’t have to dye those pomegranate arils, promise.

If you’re the type to reduce sugar and butter in just about everything you meet (it takes one to know one), let me warn you in advance: Don’t do it here.

Changing the flour/sugar/butter ratio will also change the texture. It won’t be as chewy. It won’t have that fudge-like consistency that’s the hallmark of a truly great brownie or blondie. It might be tasty in other ways, but it won’t be a show-stopping blondie.

Which these totally are. Because aside from the crispy tops and the chewy middles and the pretty mix-ins, they use almond extract instead of the usual vanilla.

It’s worth picking up a little bottle of the stuff if you don’t have some at home already. It adds another layer to the flavor, conjuring up things like marzipan and powerful nutty aromas. Trust me. It’s veryveryvery good.

The other best part? You need exactly one bowl for this recipe. Okay, and one small saucepan to melt the butter. But seriously, we’re not talking a lot of dishes.

And how could I forget? Although they’re nice at room temperature and really, really good from the fridge, they’re at their absolute best from the freezer (though to get the chewiness factor, you should let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes first).

Which means (ding-ding-ding!) you can definitely make these for Succos.

One year ago: Maple oat raisin quick bread

Victoria (Itsy Bitsy Balebusta) on September 23, 2012 at 6:13 am.

This is the perfect recipe for all the leftover pomegranates after Rosh Hashanah! I absolutely love blondies, and this is such a creative way to incorporate them into the Chaggim! I also love the inclusion of almond extract! Thanks for the recipe!!

Sheindl on September 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm.

I made these this past Shabbos, they are sooo good! The crunchiness of the pomegranate seeds reminds me of rice krispies.

AILUY on August 31, 2014 at 7:09 pm.

I would love to make these for the upcoming holidays. Do they freeze well and (please don’t hate me) can I make them without chocolate?

Tali Simon on August 31, 2014 at 9:45 pm.

Yes to both! I love them straight from the freezer.

aivtehl on September 8, 2014 at 12:09 pm.

Hi Tali,

I wanted to make them in advance for Rosh Hashana since you said they were good in the freezer, but how early is too early?? They last OK?

Also, the batter seems really under cooked even after a half an hour, do you know what could be the explanation??

Tali Simon on September 8, 2014 at 3:04 pm.

I would freeze most baked goods for 2 months for sure. Three months might be pushing it.

Letting it sit to cool was the right move! Glad that resolved itself. (Blondies are definitely not a well-done dessert, though.)

aivtehl on September 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm.

Woah, so they actually turned out Ok in terms of texture once they’ve cooled down but they are SO SO sweet!

What is the best way to freeze?

Tali Simon on September 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm.

I agree that the ratio of sugar to flour is high here, but like I talk about in the post, it’s really important for the texture. The good thing about them being sweet like this is that you can cut them small and be satisfied with a smaller portion. :)

Re: freezing, you can let the whole block of blondies cool completely, wrap it well in plastic wrap, and put it in a bag (ziplock-type is best). If you’d rather freeze them sliced, just separate the layers of blondies with parchment paper so they don’t stick together. Enjoy!