Rosh Hashanah menu plan 2012

By | September 6, 2012

I’m such a fan of menu-planning that I can’t imagine making Shabbos or Yom Tov any other way. Actually, I can’t even imagine making a week’s worth of dinners any other way. If I don’t have a menu plan, we don’t eat real dinners.

That’s me. But I wonder about everyone else. Are most of you also bookmarking recipes you find online, putting post-it notes on cookbook pages, and making lists of possible dishes to serve?

And if you are, how far in advance of a chag do you start?

Of course, asking you these questions might not be the best way to conduct my official study on the subject. After all, followers of food blogs are probably more likely to bookmark a recipe with plans to use it for Yom Tov. And if you visit blogs regularly, it probably isn’t a stretch for you to be thinking about cooking in advance.

So if you’re reading this because you’re a hardcore menu-planner? Awesome. And if you’re reading this only because it’s sort of interesting to see what other people are cooking? That’ll work, too.

* Because I can’t stand to publish anything with factual inaccuracies, I feel compelled to tell you that our Yom Tov plans have changed since I put this menu plan together. Since I’ll still be making many of these dishes, though, I decided to post my original plan for your perusal. Without further ado…

Need more ideas? Sure thing. Here’s a quick roundup of 12 Rosh Hashanah-ish More Quiche, Please recipes not mentioned in the menu plan above.

Still hungry? Check out the Rosh Hashanah Blog Party for a collection of 29 Rosh Hashanah-themed recipes from across the blogosphere.

One year ago: (Not so) spicy zucchini salad

elana on September 6, 2012 at 9:36 am.

can you actually post weekly dinner plans too? i used to do that, but since im in school more than full time i feel too tired to even think about 2 hours from now let alone weekly dinner plans….and so we eat noodles with ketchup, noodles with sauce, noodles with cheese….basically every night….i need some yummy, easy (and preferably not too pricey?) things to make so that i feel like a good wife/mother again!

Tali Simon on September 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm.

I’ve thought about posting weekly plans but never quite got around to it. Someone actually asking for it is always a good motivator, though. Stay tuned!

elana on September 6, 2012 at 9:36 am.

thanx!

Yiska Ben Avraham on September 6, 2012 at 10:18 am.

Up until late pregnancy, I did the fun planning stuff, maybe 10 days-2 weeks before? Now with a 5-month-old who thinks she can fly but does not yet crawl, I’ll be making my husband’s favorite (which happens to be easy thank G-d), plus one of our more favorite simple regular Shabbos meals (will figure this out next week). I’ll do my “dance and entertain baby while cooking” for dessert, something from here :) and will order a side dish or something from a friend who caters to make the menu special.

Yiska Ben Avraham on September 6, 2012 at 10:21 am.

Elana, I have started making roasted vegetables, inspired by MQP, all the time. They can be cut up the night before, don’t require lots of checking, and you can change the vegetables or spices for variety if you want. It’s gone over very well.

M on September 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm.

Oooh! Will we get to see the white chocolate pomegranate bars? They sound so pretty!

Tali Simon on September 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm.

I hope to bake them far enough in advance to take photos and blog about them. Wish me luck — first, I have to develop the recipe. :)

L on September 9, 2012 at 5:46 am.

Oooh, thanks for reminding me about Overtime Cook’s garlic smashed potatoes! I made those for Shavuous; they were so good and so pretty.

Katharina on September 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm.

i only plan menus if i have guests. for my normal weekly fare i just look into the fridge or follow my appetite and just throw something together. i usually love reading cookbooks and cooking blogs, but mostly for inspiration. when i cook, i usually don’t follow a recipe step by step (if i use one), but make it my own by changing things i might find better/easier/faster etc.

tali – thanks for your inspiration and this wonderful blog!