Succos menu plan 2012

By | September 24, 2012

Here’s a little secret.

Beyond having just created this menu, I’m not really thinking about Succos cooking. I probably should be. But Yom Kippur comes first, and I need to cook up some lentil vegetable medley and roasted potato wedges to eat before the fast, and some dilled dairy quick bread to have with our zucchini potato soup afterward.

By the time I’m ready to tackle Succos, it will be Thursday morning. And I won’t have any ingredients in the house yet. Good luck to me.

Succos is crazy. I had all of Elul to plan for Rosh Hashanah (and I used it). But RH happened, and then Tzom Gedalia happened, and then Shabbos happened. And now (help) Succos is somehow one week away. I do have challah and soups in the freezer, but it takes more than challah and soup to pull off all these Yom Tov meals.

Of course, I really shouldn’t complain, not when some of you have two days of Yom Tov on either end of the chag. No words, guys.

Except for maybe two: Serve repeats.

One year ago: Sprucing up your rice

Need more ideas? Check out my Rosh Hashanah menu plan (2012) and last year’s Succos menu plan.

Abigail on September 24, 2012 at 11:12 am.

All I can say after looking at your menu is oh my gosh!!!!! (and Thank G-d my parents are here so I don’t need to cook all the meals.)
If I crash out before Sukkot I sure know where to come knocking for some leftovers :)
Also I am very intrigued by your Chinese Coleslaw (any chance of some hints please)

Tali Simon on September 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

The coleslaw is a nice alternative to the standard mayo-based versions. The dressing uses things like rice vinegar, mustard, and sesame oil. Have been meaning to post it here for ages (so in the meantime, email me if you want the full recipe). And please do come knocking. :)

Hindy on September 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm.

Thank you for sharing your menu plans! Because we eat very similarly, this is truly helpful and inspiring. I made an adapted version of your Gypsy Soup over Rosh Hashanah and it was a huge hit – especially with the kids! Thanks!

Dvora on September 25, 2012 at 7:33 am.

So honored that my recipe is included in your menu! Made your zucchini potato soup to break the fast – looking forward to it, and not just because it will mean Yom Kippur is over…

Prag on September 28, 2012 at 11:22 am.

what an amazing varied selection, since I don’t have a sukkah I have no idea what menu(s) await us, would be nice if some of our hosts read your blog :)

malka on October 10, 2012 at 7:48 am.

Can we have a menu-update now? pretty please?