Menu Plan: Week of Oct. 14, 2012

By | October 14, 2012

With Succos behind us, it’s back to real life. Whatever your normal routine is — work, school, juggling your kids’ routines, or some combination of all that — it’s baaaaaaaaaaack!

Which means that regular weekly meal plans are also back. Some people only menu plan for Shabbos and yom tov, and some (most?) people probably don’t menu plan at all. There isn’t one right way to do it. All I can tell you is that if I don’t have a menu plan, we don’t eat normal dinners. And chances are that we also won’t have ingredients for normal dinners on hand.

So yeah. I {heart} menu plans.

I hope this weekly series is helpful for you, whether you like mapping out your meals in advance or you’re scrambling for ideas as dinner hour approaches. These won’t be fancy, multi-course meals — just regular food, the things we eat ourselves here at MQP headquarters.

Which brings us to this week:

L on October 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm.

How do these meals fill you up? Tonight is two kinds of salad. I’d only be full on pizza night.

Tali Simon on October 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm.

Each family is different, and you obviously know your family best. For us, a big pasta dish (“pasta salad”) with a vegetable salad is pretty filling.

Ofir on October 15, 2012 at 12:18 am.

Thanks for sharing. Love your ideas!

Hindy on October 15, 2012 at 2:20 pm.

Your menu plan looks fantastic! I have to ask – what’s the sandwich up on top. A mushroom melt? It looks super yummy!

Tali Simon on October 15, 2012 at 6:08 pm.

It’s the inside-out grilled cheese. Shoot…now I want one.

(http://morequicheplease.com/2012/08/inside-out-grilled-cheese-with-mushrooms-plus-kosher-connection-august-linkup/)

Rena on October 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm.

I always wonder about menu plans that feature something different every night of the week. Do you never have leftovers? I would actually find it hard in most cases to cook so small of a quantity that we couldn’t eat it for at least 2 nights. (We are 2 adult eaters and one picky toddler. I could see larger families finishing more). And I would always prefer to save those leftovers for the next night rather than pack them for lunch, since lunch can always be a sandwich but that doesn’t feel satisfying for dinner.

Tali Simon on October 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm.

When we have leftovers, I find it’s easier to use them for lunches (or even breakfasts). We aren’t big sandwich people, so leftovers solves the problem of what to eat for lunch. (This is also why I would make a new dinner on Sundays instead of just relying on Shabbos leftovers.)

Katharina on October 16, 2012 at 5:35 pm.

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

Rivki Silver on October 17, 2012 at 1:22 am.

You are so good! I haven’t even started thinking about menu plans – but I’m taking a trip to the store tomorrow, so it’s hashgacha that I checked your blog! Thank you for the yummy ideas!