The newest member of the kitchen

By | October 16, 2012

Know what those are? A paddle attachment, a whisk attachment, and a dough hook.

Know what they’re for? That’s right…

And it’s sitting on my kitchen counter! And it’s not even like I borrowed it from a neighbor (though I did that once, to make my husband cinnamon coffee squares when we were dating). This beauty is ours. We actually own it.

I am still finding it hard to believe.

Although I’ve long wanted a KitchenAid stand mixer, I didn’t expect to get one anytime soon. A mixer is a pretty hefty purchase (especially in Israel, where the prices are jacked up) and it really wasn’t something I could justify.

But then my husband saw an ad on Janglo. Someone in Telzstone was selling a KitchenAid for less than half the normal price!

It seemed too good to be true, but I dialed the number listed and asked whether the KitchenAid had been sold yet…it hadn’t.

So I kept talking.

I asked which hechsherim had been used with it, and the guy told me that they only used Badatz. “And Rav Rubin,” he added. “If you hold by it.”

I smiled. Yeah, we hold by Rav Rubin.

I asked whether the pieces had been toveled, and he assured me that they had. I asked whether he had sold it all with their chametz each year, and he said he’d always sold the entire apartment because they went away for Pesach each year that they’d lived here.

Hesitating a bit, I asked whether it was…somehow…fleishig. Nope, he said. Pareve. And they barely even used it, so it was like new.

Could it get any better? Okay, it could have also been pink. But orange is a fun color, with enough spunk and personality to make me happy every time I look at it. Plus, as my husband pointed out, it’s the color for Gush Katif.

I told the guy we’d take it and asked him to please not sell it to anyone else before we got there.

He didn’t. And so we packed it up with great care in towels and bubble wrap, and my husband carried it home in his huge camping backpack all the way from Telzstone.

Time to play now.

Best.toy.ever.

One year ago: Baked BBQ sweet potato chips

shaindy on October 17, 2012 at 3:13 am.

Mazal tov on your new addition! Can’t wait to see what you make with it!

Keshet on October 17, 2012 at 5:08 am.

Woohoo! You will LOVE it Tali!

Rena on October 17, 2012 at 8:53 am.

That is amazing!!!!! I also really want one but here in Israel its way too expensive. I did recently get an ice cream maker from someone who sold it to me for a good american price. Here it would have been way too much and for an ice cream maker i would definitely not spend it. Haven’t used it yet though :)
Enjoy your new toy!

Hindy on October 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm.

Love that color! Your husband deserves lots of yummy treats for shlepping it home on his back!

malka on October 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm.

Yay! I am sooo excited for you. You will love it!!!

Yiska Ben Avraham on October 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm.

Ohhh my goodness Tali, titchadshi!!!!! Hashem is Awesome!!!

Sarah Klinkowitz on October 17, 2012 at 6:03 pm.

MAZEL TOV! I was beyond thrilled when I got mine. Best thing! Use it well!

Julie on October 19, 2012 at 7:17 am.

I can’t wait to see what you create with it, and want a full review :). Am also wanting one but they are double the price in Australia too :( ($700!)

Victoria (Itsy Bitsy Balebusta) on October 21, 2012 at 4:09 am.

Mazel tov!! So happy for you! I wanted one for 8 years before my grandmother gave me mine for Chanukah last year and it’s my favorite kitchen companion! I hope your’s brings you many delicious desserts and treats! Enjoy!!

Rachel B. on October 31, 2012 at 7:37 pm.

A Gush Katif mixer, you are a real settler!! Titchadshi! Make marshmallows.

Tali Simon on October 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm.

Settler Simon, they call me. :)