Italian dressing

By | December 18, 2012

How many fried foods did you get in during Chanukah? Eight, one per day? Two per day? …Should I stop asking?

Maybe we should just go straight to the salad.

Although I love me a fancy salad, I’ll admit it: Most of the time, the salads we have around here are of the very basic variety. Lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and that’s it.

Oh, and the dressing.

I like to have a bottle of homemade dressing on hand for the salads that go with dinner two or three times a week (if you’ve been following my weekly menu plans, you know that the “basic salad” makes a regular appearance).

The truth is, the dressings themselves don’t tend to be too fancy, either. But they add just the right amount of interest to make a simple salad something slightly special.

And that’s the way I’d describe this italian dressing. No, it isn’t one of those I-NEED-THIS-NOW recipes that you could rave about for an hour straight. (I mean, this is salad dressing we’re talking about, not a triple fudge brownie sundae.)

But. It’s easy to make, it can go with virtually any veggie combination, and you know what?

After a week of fried foods, it totally hits the spot.

One year ago: Asian salad dressing (what is it with Dec. 18 and salad dressings?)

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.

Yona on December 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm.

Prepared mustard or powder?

Tali Simon on December 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm.

I used prepared.

Hindy on December 19, 2012 at 12:52 am.

I am always looking for new and easy salad dressing recipes. This looks perfect! Will try soon!

Victoria (Itsy Bitsy Balebusta) on December 19, 2012 at 2:21 am.

I don’t know why, but I never have much luck with making salad dressings. It always turns out too oily for some reason. Do you have any tips or tricks you use when putting it together? I’d love to give this one a try!

Tali Simon on December 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm.

Can’t promise this will solve the problem, but do you use a whisk (and not just a fork) to combine everything? I find that it really makes a difference.

johanna on December 19, 2012 at 2:58 am.

we do the same, but use darker greens like arugula, shallots instead of garlic, and use fresh ground or dijon mustard and lemon juice instead of the vinegar. it’s a super nice comforting taste!

mordy on December 19, 2012 at 8:36 am.

Similar to what I make, but I use balsamic or red wine vinegar, and I sub mustard powder for mustard. Then I blend. The mustard powder holds everything together and it thickens a little bit.

jessica on December 21, 2012 at 7:57 pm.

i’m always looking for new salad dressing recipes (and just this week tried out a disgusting italian one) so happy to see this! i’ll try it next week!

Ariella on December 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm.

I use an immersion blender for every salad dressing, even when the recipe doesn’t say to. Helps keeps the elements from separating, and it doesn’t create any extra dishes to wash

Tali Simon on December 25, 2012 at 7:36 am.

Thanks for the tip!

Elana Friedman on January 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm.

Hi. How long will it keep in the fridge? I made it a few weeks ago and by the way it is so yum, and this morning when I took it out of the fridge it was one big glob of gel. It became liquid a few hours later at work but just wondering how long it is good to keep around in the fridge? Thanks

Tali Simon on January 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm.

I would guess that up to three weeks would be fine — possibly longer, but I haven’t had the experience to say for sure.

If it globs up, you can also let the dressing bottle sit in a bowl/cup of very hot water for a few minutes and then give it a good shake.

Arielle on January 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm.

Hey! Before I make this, I just want to confirm that you used dried oregano and basil? I once had a horrible accident using powdered ginger instead of fresh and since then I always ask :)

Tali Simon on January 23, 2013 at 7:50 pm.

Yep, dried. :)

Shevy on October 29, 2013 at 7:31 am.

I’ve started a ‘salad bar’ for my husband’s lunches (and b”H he says he has much more energy in having salad for lunch instead of carbs!) anyway that meant I need lots of fun different dressings and we both LOVED this one! I would maybe try it with canola oil nxt time since we went through our olive oil kind of quickly since I’ve been making so many dressing but I followed the recipe exactly (even measured the teaspoons and whatnot) and although I never liked bottled Italian dressing this is just in a world of it’s own it is WAY better. Thanks for sharing!!

Tali Simon on October 29, 2013 at 8:00 am.

So glad! I have to suggest that you don’t go with canola, though. It’s a neutral-flavored oil that doesn’t really do the job in things like salad dressings, where you taste the flavor raw (here, all you would taste is grease!). I know what you mean about olive being expensive. All I can say is to watch for price drops. :)