Ginger spice sticks with lemon glaze

By | February 7, 2013

ginger-spice-sticks-1.jpg

Last year, shortly before Purim, I spent an afternoon traipsing around Meah Shearim. I stopped in a little spice shop, loaded up on things like cumin and curry and dill and oregano, and noticed that they also sold crystallized ginger. I was intrigued, but I knew it wasn’t going to become a regular in my baking. So I asked the guy how long it would last.

“In the fridge? Until next Purim!”

Sold.

ginger-spice-sticks-2.jpg

It turns out that we were both right. I was right that I’d use it only every now and then, and he was right that it would last. Because look at the calendar! It’s a few weeks before Purim one year later, I just used the stuff in this batch of fragrant ginger spice sticks, and it’s as good as ever.

ginger-spice-sticks-3.jpg

If you like gingerbread and the warmth that its flavors bring, you’ll love these. The all-purpose flour is tempered with an equal amount of whole wheat; the granulated sugar is brown sugar’s sidekick. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey help weave the basic elements together, but the real star is the ginger, which shows up as the dried spice and as bits of crystallized gems.

The lemon glaze, while it may not be totally necessary, is an aromatic way to finish these off, what with the fresh lemon juice and bits of zest. Plus, they’re much prettier this way.

ginger-spice-sticks-4.jpg

The other great thing is that they stay soft for a full six days (and maybe even one or two more, but I can’t say from experience) in an airtight container. What that means is that you can include these in your mishloach manot without having to do any baking at the last minute.

And if that’s not a selling point for elegant-tasting cookie sticks, I don’t know what is.

ginger-spice-sticks-5.jpg

One year ago: Coconut cake

stephanie/the kosher foodies on February 7, 2013 at 3:38 pm.

i love ginger, and people don’t bake with it enough this time of year! who says it’s just for christmas time?

Yiska Ben Avraham on February 7, 2013 at 8:08 pm.

These look great! You pick awesome recipes to post! What do you suggest if we don’t have crystallized ginger?

Tali Simon on February 7, 2013 at 8:38 pm.

I suggest you borrow some from a neighbor. :) I guess you could make them without it (or mix in some craisins or toasted nuts), but the crystallized ginger is really the centerpiece of this dessert.

Dvora @ Dvora's Cookie Creations on February 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm.

I finally hit the big time – I’ve been adapted! Glad you liked the recipe. I think I will try to include half whole wheat next time. Thanks!

Hindy on February 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm.

These look fantastic! I love ginger cookies! I also use the crystalized ginger. Love it.

jessica on February 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm.

YUM!

Yiska Ben Avraham on February 13, 2013 at 8:17 pm.

OK, excitement, I went to Yesh today instead of our local makolet and found crystallized ginger. Does this recipe call for the sugared or unsugared kind? I bought both just in case – I don’t get out to Yesh a lot :)

Tali Simon on February 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm.

So glad you found it! I used sugared.