Homemade corn schnitzel

By | June 20, 2013

corn-schnitzel-1.jpg

Homemade corn schnitzel was on my list of Things I Never Expect to Make. (Also on that list would be bissli, cereal, and mozzarella.) But one fine day, Abi Moskovits mentioned on the What’s for Dinner Facebook group that she was making exactly that for dinner.

Corn schnitzel! With canned corn, mayo, bread crumbs, and an egg! It sounded so easy. And of course, it was.

corn-schnitzel-2.jpg

I added matzah meal to the batter to give it more body, and coated the patties in these golden breadcrumbs with sesame seeds that I found in my makolet. You can use any breadcrumbs (and add the sesame yourself), though I think the golden crumbs make them look more like the Tivol [or insert your local brand here] schnitzels.

corn-schnitzel-3.jpg

They hold together well during cooking and eating and are packed with corn, the way a purist likes her corn schnitzels to be. (Purist? Me? Yeah.) You could add some shredded veggies, but then you’d have to call them veggie schnitzels. It’s your call.

corn-schnitzel-6.jpg

The bottom line is that they taste so good, you’ll find yourself going over the ingredient list as you try to figure out what could possibly be so delicious about a corn-mayo-matzah meal patty. I don’t get it, either.

They’re pretty close to the store-bought kind, only better. Of course.

corn-schnitzel-7.jpg

Where’s my ketchup?

One year ago: Photography @ MQP: Fill it Up!

Shiran on June 20, 2013 at 10:46 am.

Sounds yummy. Wonder if there’s a way to bake them and not fry…

Tali Simon on June 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm.

I’ve tried it with other patties/fritters, and it works — just isn’t quite the same taste. Also, not sure about how the breadcrumbs will come out.

Sima on June 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm.

Along the same lines… If you ever figure out how to make regular parve schnitzels- the soy kind as opposed to the corn kind, I would be forever grateful! I make soy milk and tofu from soybeans and tried using the leftover pulp from the soybeans to make shnitzel… Did not come out too good. Any ideas?

Tali Simon on June 20, 2013 at 2:57 pm.

You make your own soy milk and tofu? You’re 10 steps ahead of me! But you can be sure that if I experiment successfully, I’ll blog about it. Very intrigued.

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn on June 20, 2013 at 5:57 pm.

We used to eat these all the time in Israel when I was in seminary. I can’t believe how easy they are to make from scratch! I wonder if my kids would eat them.

Rena on June 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm.

I tried before to make them with corn and potatoes as the filling, but they didnt hold together well and the kids wouldn’t touch them!
These look great though, so i will for sure try!

Tanya on June 20, 2013 at 11:37 pm.

Kudos! One of my dollies is addicted and I am nervous @ soy containing products. Hopefully this satisfy her need and mine!

jessica // the kosher foodies on June 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm.

yummy yummy! perfect for a beach lunch!

tamar on October 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm.

do they freeze well? so i can use them like the original snizels

Tali Simon on October 31, 2013 at 12:33 pm.

I haven’t tried it, but I think they would. Please report back if you try!

Sarah on November 3, 2013 at 11:43 am.

Could you substitute the matza meal with say, spelt flour, somehow? For a gluten-sensitive kid? Thanks!

Tali Simon on November 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm.

I can’t say for sure, but I do think it would be fine.

Yael Maizels on January 13, 2014 at 10:46 am.

Totally need to try this especially because one package of shnitzels costs over 20 sheckels!

Esti on March 3, 2014 at 4:53 pm.

make at least double.half of them didn’t make it to the supper table

Planning on making and freezing. Perfect for school lunch