Sunflower zucchini quick bread

By | June 24, 2013

sunflower-zucchini-quick-bread-1.jpg

My formula for breaking a fast is soup and bread. Summer or winter, hot or cold, it’s always soup and bread. In the summer, of course, I’m more likely to choose a cold soup (though that actually isn’t the plan for tomorrow).

With two summertime fasts coming up quickly, the timing is perfect for a summery quick bread. And I do mean quick! No yeast, no rising, no chance for failure. It’s the best type of bread there is. This one is soft and moist, laced with shredded zucchini and sprinkled with sunflower seeds.

Serve it warm, serve it room temp, or serve it toasted with cream cheese. And don’t forget the soup.

Tzom kal!

* Need soup ideas? Check the recipe index for 22 delicious varieties. *

One year ago: How to make roasted garlic

Jenny on June 24, 2013 at 11:24 pm.

Looks delish! Any ideas for making it pareve?

Tali Simon on June 25, 2013 at 5:43 am.

Soy yogurt or pareve sour cream should work. Mayo might be another workable option, though I can’t say for sure.

jessica // the kosher foodies on June 26, 2013 at 5:38 pm.

i love this bread! i’m gonna have to try it this summer

stephanie/the kosher foodies on June 26, 2013 at 6:09 pm.

never thought of adding sunflower seeds to quick bread, love the idea for added protein and crunch!

Esther on June 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm.

Do you think it would work w/ 80% whole wheat? Maybe add more oil or yogurt?

Tali Simon on June 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm.

I’d say it’s certainly worth a try. It would probably be a bit dense, but since it’s ordinarily so soft and moist, I think it would even itself out more or less.

karen on July 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm.

would this bread be hamotzi or mezonos? wondering, because there is no water.

Tali Simon on July 9, 2013 at 6:02 am.

As I understand it, this bread (and the beer bread muffins, for example) fall under the category of pas haba b’kisnin — bread-ish foods that have a significant amount of atypical ingredients mixed into the dough.

The question then becomes: Is the food more like a cake, or more like a bread? I would say this is more bread-like and so the bracha would be hamotzi. Of course, feel free to confirm this with your rav.

karen on July 9, 2013 at 10:06 pm.

thank you.

karen on July 10, 2013 at 11:37 pm.

Dear Tali,
Thanks so very much! I made the bread yesterday for dinner- it came out great!
I used 100% oat flour, one teaspoon baking powder, since I had no baking soda, and plain leben for the yogurt. The bread was delicious and the texture was great! My husband suggested I make an apple quick bread, by substituting apples for the zukes.
A real hit- thanks again!

Tali Simon on July 11, 2013 at 5:28 am.

Yay! So glad.

Devora on March 25, 2014 at 2:18 pm.

Omg!!! Yum! Wanted a good way to get rid of those remaining sunflower seeds I had laying around… But now, I think I will buy a lot more!! Amazing recipe!! Thanks!

Have u ever tried making it with other types of nuts? We have lot of slivered almonds, ever made it w that?

Thanks again!!!

Devora on March 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm.

Oh, made it with 100% whole wheat flour. Never tried it otherwise, but it tasted really good like this!

Tali Simon on March 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm.

Good to know, thanks for commenting. I think almonds would be great, and for extra flavor there, you can toast them in a dry skillet until lightly browned before using them in the recipe. Other nuts and seeds would probably work, too.