Tuna rice patties

By | June 6, 2013

tuna-rice-patties-1.jpg

Until now, making tuna patties has meant making these. We’ve always enjoyed them, but lately, I’ve been thinking about the recipe and feeling like it needed some revisiting.

First, I wanted a bulkier patty. And that bulk needed to come from something other than tuna. Second, why should tuna patties use soup powder? Tuna is plenty flavorful on its own. Scratch the soup powder. And third, I wanted a higher yield. Getting 7-ish patties from two cans of tuna was always kind of disappointing.

tuna-rice-patties-2.jpg

And then one day I had leftover rice in the fridge, and inspiration struck. Rice! It was just what I needed to bulk up the patties, stretch the tuna a little further, and get a higher recipe yield. And the truth is, any leftover grain should work. Couscous, bulgar, barley, wheat berries — I’d give them all a try.

tuna-rice-patties-3.jpg

Remember how I promised you kid-friendly recipes this week? If you can’t sneak an herb past your bunch, you can skip it entirely or use something else lying around. Peas…corn…cheese. It’s all good. Tuna patties are flexible that way.

One year ago: The fudgesicle failure of 2012

Chanie@BusyInBrooklyn on June 6, 2013 at 10:59 pm.

These look great! If only my kids would eat them…

karen on June 7, 2013 at 7:21 pm.

Great idea, Tali- thanks! What sort of soup or salad would you recommend to go with these?

Tali Simon on June 8, 2013 at 9:38 pm.

I can see a marak katom or split pea soup pairing really nicely. As for salad, I’d say most green leafy salads or cole slaws.

jessica // the kosher foodies on June 11, 2013 at 1:23 am.

what a great idea! yum!

Kat on August 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm.

I just wanted to let you know I made these tonight for husband and two year old and they were great! A little tricky to keep in one piece but once cooked were fine. I added some very finely diced onion, minced garlic and used parsley – yum! Even the toddler ate one, which is something because he is fairly fussy. I served them with garlic potatoes fried with parsley and a cabbage salad with carrot, red capsicum, more parsley and salt/pepper/olive oil/apple cider vinegar dressing. So nice! Similar to what my mum made but she used salmon and coated the patties in flour before frying. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

Tali Simon on August 18, 2013 at 5:46 am.

That meal sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed the recipe.

Yiska Ben Avraham on March 30, 2014 at 12:57 am.

Love the rice option! (I am revisiting this tuna patty idea after a long hiatus). Is there a way to bake these? I almost always mess things up when I fry them, plus need things with less time standing at the stove (in which baby gets annoyed).

Tali Simon on March 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm.

I hear you on that. Stove cooking is also becoming complicated for me these days. I haven’t tried baking these so can’t say for sure, but give them maybe 10 minutes at 180 C, flip, and then bake for another 10 — check if they seem to be done and add time if needed. (You probably won’t get the crispy outsides, though.)