(Very) moist chocolate cake

By | June 13, 2013

choc-cake-1.jpg

This recipe first appeared in the Jan. 14, 2013 edition of “From Tali’s Kitchen,” my biweekly cooking column in Binah magazine.

We were healthy last week. Now it’s time for chocolate. And by that I don’t just mean adding cocoa powder to a cake batter and calling it a chocolate cake.

I mean using real chocolate (melted), chocolate milk powder, and chocolate pudding for the chocolate factor, and then adding whip topping, buttermilk, and melted butter for texture. The result comes close to a brownie, but stays a few shades short of that. So it’s a cake. A really moist, really chocolate cake.

choc-cake-4.jpg

I set out to make a birthday cake with this recipe, so I first tried baking it in a tube pan. I thought it would come out all majestic-looking, like this one. But my own genius worked against me — the cake was so moist, so deliciously soft, that it completely collapsed when I tried to remove it from the pan.

So I made it again in a good ol’ 9×13. Cake squares it would be.

They don’t really need any embellishments, these cake squares. But if you’re serving them at a birthday celebration and you want that extra touch, I suggest a dollop of whipped cream (you should have plenty left in your whip topping carton) and some pretty sprinkles.

choc-cake-3.jpg

Because pretty sprinkles? Always a good thing.

One year ago: bissli-topped tuna casserole

pnina on June 13, 2013 at 9:30 am.

holy cow that looks amazing!!!!!! was it expensive? ps they look like the best brownies ever

Tali Simon on June 13, 2013 at 9:45 am.

The chocolate is about half of one of those 400-gram bars, so let’s say that’s 5-6 shekels. And the 1/3 cup Rich’s whip would be 2-3 shekels, if you get it on sale (the stuff freezes well, btw). So more expensive than a basic batter but not crazy (i.e. not a peanut butter fudge cheesecake…).

Alex on June 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm.

Is there a reason you went with Rich’s and not regular whipping cream? I’m not a fan of Rich’s.

Tali Simon on June 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm.

It’s what I tend to have on hand (freezes well, goes on sale before yom tov here). Any liquid whipped topping or cream should do the same thing.

jessica // the kosher foodies on June 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm.

can you use heavy cream? this cake looks amazing – almost like brownies, even!

Tali Simon on June 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm.

See my reply to Alex’s comment — go for it. :)

Ariela on June 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm.

Why didn’t I find this when I needed it. I knew I saw it some where. I ended up making my own recipe- mixing two together to create a marble cake, I over cooked it so it came out very dry.
Now I am looking for a rum ball recipe and I happen to come across the cake I’ve been looking for in the beginning.
: )

Tali Simon on June 30, 2013 at 7:38 pm.

I hear this cake goes really well with rum balls… :)