Skillet lasagna

By | July 9, 2013

skillet-lasagna-1.jpg

This definitely isn’t the first time I’ve done a lasagna-themed recipe. The archives already have white lasagna, cheesy pierogi lasagna, pretty little lasagna roll-ups, and lasagna soup. We’ve also done the Pesach version, matzah lasagna. So it looks like the only kind I haven’t brought you yet is the classic one. Which isn’t on today’s agenda, either.

You should definitely skip the classic in favor of skillet lasagna, if only in the interest of time. There’s no layering, no smoothing sauce and cheese into even spreads. You basically plop a bunch of things in a skillet, and it makes a great meal. The cooking time is also much quicker. Why bake in the oven for an hour when you can simmer on the stove for like 10 minutes?

Just like lasagna in a 9×13, you can change this up as you like. Spinach? Great idea. White sauce? Go for it. I went with shaved zucchini because it cooks quickly and imitates the size and thickness of lasagna noodles, and canned mushrooms because I clearly have a mushroom thing and this dish is all about speed.

Oh, and deliciousness.

One year ago: Fresh garlic pita wedges

Lorien Balofsky on July 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm.

One of my friends pinned this and it looked quick and easy. I made it for dinner for my husband and I… I must say, it was delicious as well as quick and easy. Put in frozen spinach instead of zucchinis and gvina levana for the extra 1/2 cup of cottage since I only had one container. I thank you and my tummy thanks you!

Tali Simon on July 9, 2013 at 8:06 pm.

Nice changes! It’s good to know that gvina levana works, too.

Devora on August 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm.

I finally made it! No veggies so the kids will eat it, but I think I’m going to need to make a new pan for me and my husband

Lorien Balofsky on July 9, 2013 at 11:14 pm.

I didn’t find it at all liquidy. I think the gvina levana was a great idea in the end and helped make it rich and creamy.

Prag on July 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm.

Cool idea, I actually make meat lasanga this way (partially) never thought of doing it for milk.

Esther on July 12, 2013 at 3:06 am.

Made this last night..it was delicious! Thx for the gr8 recipe.
How would I convert it to regular pan lasagna, if I want to make a large batch & freeze?

Tali Simon on July 12, 2013 at 6:55 am.

Yay!

If you’re making a standard 9×13 lasagna, look at my post on white lasagna with mushrooms. You’ll need about 3 cups sauce and 2 cups cottage/ricotta, but those amounts are flexible — adjust based on your personal preferences.

Rena on July 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm.

This became a last minute dinner. I used ricotta instead of cottage cheese and it melted and became really creamy – yum!

Yiska Ben Avraham on August 11, 2013 at 9:53 pm.

Silly question – how deep is your skillet? I have one pan and it looks a bit flat – want to try this, got all the ingredients, but I don’t want to be overflowing in the middle!

Tali Simon on August 13, 2013 at 8:14 am.

About 2 inches/5 cm deep. Enjoy!

Devora on April 16, 2014 at 11:06 pm.

Tried this with Matza tonight and it worked really well!

Tali Simon on April 17, 2014 at 9:53 am.

Great idea!