Ratatouille

By | August 13, 2013

ratatouille-1.jpg

Ratatouille: Main dish, side dish, or a salad for the challah course? I’d say the answer is all of the above. For a weekday dinner, serve it over rice or couscous and call it a meal. If all you need is a side dish, it does a good job as that, too. And as something for your spread of salatim? Totally.

I’ve made this so many times, and each one is a little different. Depending on the produce prices, I might have a couple more tomatoes instead of the peppers. Or maybe I’ll use a tiny eggplant and throw in an extra zucchini. If I feel like it, I’ll dice everything really small, and if I don’t feel like it, I just cube. It’s all good.

But my new favorite thing about ratatouille is that the baby gobbles it up. Gourmet baby food, anyone?

rimone on August 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm.

This looks delish! Have you ever tried to freeze it? Does it freeze well too? Thanks!

Tali Simon on August 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm.

I haven’t tried freezing it, but because it’s more vegetable-y than saucy, my guess is that it’s not a good freezer dish. It is good in the fridge for six days, though. (Adding that to the recipe now.)

Gemma on August 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm.

Thanks, Tali, that’s our supper for tonight!

Gemma on August 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm.

Tali, I’m eating it now and it’s delicious! And I never thought I liked ratatouille. And I never knew how to spell it until now. I added a little bit of date honey to make it sweeter.

Tali Simon on August 15, 2013 at 5:49 am.

Yay! Good story.

Yiska Ben Avraham on April 6, 2014 at 11:03 am.

Just re-noticing this from your Pesach menu – I use these vegetables all the time.
Are there any good alternatives for the 2 spices listed here? (Ever since I nearly missed finding a bug in some cumin and after another couple difficult attempts, I’m too paranoid to check it.)

Tali Simon on April 6, 2014 at 1:04 pm.

This is a really flexible recipe. On Pesach, I only use salt and pepper. You could also go italian — use basil and oregano instead of paprika and cumin — or you could zest a lemon into it.