{Gluten-free} Mom's salmon loaf

By | September 10, 2013

moms-salmon-loaf-1.jpg

My mother-in-law has been providing me with a steady supply of canned salmon for the last two years or so. (She’s also the source of our Ziploc bags, floss, toothbrushes, and deodorant. And lots of baby clothes. And lots more baby clothes after that. Thanks, Mom!)

Luckily, the salmon came with Mom’s great recipe for salmon loaf. It’s light and flavorful, it rounds out a meal wonderfully, and the ingredient list is short. It also freezes well, which makes it a great menu item for Succos — though don’t you think it would be totally at home at your pre- or post-Yom Kippur meal?

Salmon loaf is a nice way to have fish at a meal without going the fillet/whole fish route. And with a dollop of mustard aioli, all bases are covered.

Next week, I’ll show you the aioli. Before that, I have a feel-good, taste-good soup for you.

P.S. For those of you with really good memories, yes, I did post a salmon loaf recipe here before. Make this new one instead, though. Much better.

Devora on September 10, 2013 at 12:56 pm.

Have you ever tried this with tuna? I don’t import salmon :(

Tali Simon on September 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm.

I haven’t, but I bet it would be great. (And apparently they do sell it here. My in-laws found it in Jerusalem once, at least.)

Devora on November 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm.

I made it with tuna last week and it was a huge hit! All four of my VERY picky kids loved it.

Tali Simon on November 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm.

Great! Thanks for coming back to update.

Shaindy on September 10, 2013 at 5:55 pm.

wow, this looks so good! I can’t wait to try it! And I totally agree with you about the bones… totally worth the time to remove (although my husband would disagree). Do you think I can use regular flour in place of the potato starch?

Tali Simon on September 11, 2013 at 4:09 am.

I haven’t tried it, but I think it would be fine. Breadcrumbs and cornflake crumbs are other alternatives.

Ailuy on September 10, 2013 at 7:04 pm.

Do you think I can make it with ground fresh salmon? What adjustments would I make? I love salmon in just about any way, but for some reason not canned. I know it sounds weird but that’s how I am. Thank you for awesome recipes. Will there be a Sukkot round up?

Tali Simon on September 11, 2013 at 4:13 am.

I definitely hear that — a salmon fillet or a side of salmon is very different from the canned stuff! An equal amount of fresh salmon, broken up, should work just as well.

As for a roundup, hmmm. Not a bad idea.

Sarah on February 1, 2014 at 6:19 pm.

Thank you for this recipe! I like the bones for the extra calcium, and after using the food processor, they are undetectable. My children love this recipe as “salmon muffins.” The aioli is also a big hit with them!

Sarah on February 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm.

Also, by mixing everything with the S-blade in the food processor, I find that the mixture is runnier and requires more potato starch (or whatever flour I’m using). Not a big deal.

Tali Simon on February 1, 2014 at 8:33 pm.

Interesting. Thanks for adding that. (And glad this went over well with your kids!)