Rosh Hashanah 2013: Post-Mortem

By | September 8, 2013

cheese-blintz-souffle.jpg

How was your Rosh Hashanah? How was the food? Things were great over here, but there was really too much food. And it takes a lot for me to say that.

I stuck to my Rosh Hashanah menu plan dish for dish, and by the time yom tov came in, both the fridge and freezer were full…so full that I actually cut out two salads that I had been planning to put together on yom tov. It also takes a lot for to me to do that.

And here’s the thing: Next year, Rosh Hashanah starts on a Wednesday night again. Which means it will be a three-day event again. (What?!)

Here’s what we’ll do differently:

* Night meals will be lighter. The food was hardly touched on Thursday night and Friday night, and really, after a yom tov-size lunch, what did I expect? Next time, I think we’ll cut the main course entirely. Challah with dips, soup, dessert, and goodnight.

pom-white-choc-blondies-6.jpg

* Leftover simanim -> appetizer for another meal. We only took tastes of the simanim, so there were leftovers of everything (roasted carrots, roasted beets, roasted butternut squash, silan, pomegranate arils, leeks sauteed in butter, and apples with honey). Next year, instead of just letting it all sit in the fridge for the rest of yom tov, I’d put it out with the challah at a second meal.

Here’s what I’ll do the same:

* Cook in advance. During the month of August, I put something in the freezer for Rosh Hashanah about twice a week. This is how we had 8 loaves of challah, 12 challah rolls, 3 soups, 3 desserts, quiche, and salmon loaf ready to go by the week of Rosh Hashanah. My freezer isn’t even that big. I just started clearing it out after Tisha B’Av.

rh-challahs.jpg

* Variety! You definitely don’t need to make three different soups for the three nighttime meals, but I loved the variety. We also didn’t need three different desserts, but same thing — variety is fun. And since soups and desserts freeze well, leftovers can always be saved for the pre- and post-Yom Kippur meals and/or for Succos. Cha-ching!

What would you do the same/differently next year?

Come back soon — I have two great recipes for the Yom Kippur break-fast to share with you!

Alex on September 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm.

Next year, I’m bringing your onion kugels to every meal I’m invited to. They were a huge hit.

Also, I will not worry about the size of desserts. I made a spiced apple-upside down cake and was a bit worried when it was quite short. After such a big meal from our hosts, people seemed relieved to just have a small sliver of dessert. Guests brought a quarter tray of brownies and a large container of ice cream to one of our meals and we didn’t even finish the brownies. In my family, leftover brownies almost never happens.

Tali Simon on September 8, 2013 at 6:39 pm.

We had a similar thing. I set aside like 15 of those cream cheese swirl brownies for RH, and I think we have a dozen left! It must be the fate of desserts at back-to-back yom tov meals.

CarolineEr on September 9, 2013 at 6:09 am.

Our wonderful first night host did a very clever thing — each item on the menu was built around one or more simanim! What a great way to reduce waste…

Tali Simon on September 9, 2013 at 7:37 am.

Cool idea!

Devora on September 9, 2013 at 8:39 am.

I plan my entire menu around the simanim so that we don’t have to have an entire meal before the meal.
I also made 3 mains and lots of salads and rotated them throughout the 3 days.
It made RH a LOT less stressful!

Tali Simon on September 9, 2013 at 8:41 am.

How do you do the yehi ratzons? Everyone puts some of each dish on their plate and you all taste each thing at the same time?

Adina Freimark Wolff on September 9, 2013 at 10:40 am.

My mom does that too. She serves soup and says: “The soup has black eyed peas, which are , on which you say…… . And carrots, on which you say .”
It’s especially easier when you have lots of hungry children, for whom the yehi ratzons may be too long. (then again, for some children they would be exciting :) )

Tali Simon on September 9, 2013 at 11:04 am.

I guess this is one of those flexible minhagim. Thanks!

Devora on September 9, 2013 at 10:27 pm.

I tell everyone where exactly to find which siman and as we go through the meal we say the appropriate yehi ratzon. If you scatter them it also gets the older kids involved by making up their own.